WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2006 Martinelli Zinfandel Giuseppe & Luisa
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2006 Martinelli Zinfandel Giuseppe & Luisa
 Login/Join 
posted
2006 Martinelli Zinfandel Giuseppe & Luisa - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (9/15/2009)

Opened at Otis' Cellar Diminishment Party. This was another over the top wine from Martinelli at this party. I always appreciate the opportunity to try them though to see if my tastes are changing or if this producer has decided to change their style to make wines which are actually in balance. No change in style here. This was better than the 2000 G&L that I had in 2002 but that is not saying much. Smoother than I expected but it showed noticeable alcohol and heat on the finish. Just a very fake, manipulated wine to me. 86-87 points.

VM

Posts: 12355 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that but thanks for the heads up!

Posts: 9502 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VM -- let me by manipulated!

First, you hit Lolita Ranch, and now G&L! You had better be careful, or Otis might not invite you to his next Diminishment Party! Eek

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Otis every told me that I had to make a choice between attending his CDP or changing my score on a Martinelli wine, I'd simply ask him what score he wanted me to give it. I'm that easy.

VM

Posts: 12355 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
smart move Wink

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thankfully rid myself of the last bottle of this. Undrinkable. I'd rather drink cherry flavored cough syrup. Overripe fruit, syrupy, and nothing in the way of tannin or acidity to balance it. A jumbled mess that is overly hot (16.5% alc.). It's like over-extracted juice with Sriracha sauce added. Might be good as rocket fuel. Re-tasting after 2 and 3 days does not change the picture. I can't believe I used to like this crap. Dropped this list a few years ago. 75pts (no, not a typo).

Editing my score to 50pts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haggis,

"But, if ye wish her grateful prayer,
Gie her a haggis!" -Robert Burns

Posts: 1672 | Location: Traded Paradise for the frozen Finger Lakes | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
haggis, you are being far too kind.

Posts: 30352 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:75pts (no, not a typo).

Sounds like a generous score. From your description I'd probably put it in the 50s. Maybe even flat 50, since I see no redeeming qualities listed.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yhn:
quote:

Sounds like a generous score. From your description I'd probably put it in the 50s. Maybe even flat 50, since I see no redeeming qualities listed.

sriracha is a plus

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12438 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I guess I'm an easy grader! Roll Eyes

Posts: 1672 | Location: Traded Paradise for the frozen Finger Lakes | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
quote:

sriracha is a plus

Haha!! yes, perhaps it's one redeeming value!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
quote:

Nice eye roll. But maybe I took my time to try to make a point for a reason. You stated the wine was extremely undrinkable, yet you seem to think you were being edgy by rating it way down in the ho-hum average but drinkable range.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
quote:

Nice eye roll. But maybe I took my time to try to make a point for a reason. You stated the wine was extremely undrinkable, yet you seem to think you were being edgy by rating it way down in the ho-hum average but drinkable range.

Me, edgy? I guess my rating system is different. If I gave a student a score of 75, he/she would be history. But, I take your point and I think, given the WS and Parker scoring criteria, that I should have given this a 50. I'm going to change it.