WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Chateauneuf Night
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chateauneuf Night
 Login/Join 
posted
2010 Clos Saint Jean CdP Blanc: Delightful wine. The Roussanne really showed well in this (1/3 roussanne, 1/3 Grenache Blanc, 1/3 Clairette). Pineapple syrup, mango, passionfruit over a nice tight spine. I really loved it, just not at $39. 92 points

2009 Domaine Jean Royer CdP "Prestige": Very much like a fine CdR to me. Some sour cherry, cedar, earth, in good balance. 89 points

2007 Vignobles Mayard CdP Domaine du Pere Pape: Spicy, rich, red fruits and heavier tannins. Did not really make me take notice, but good. 89 points

2009 Domaine du Pere Pape (Mayard) CdP "La Crau de ma Mere": Absolutely delicious and stunning wine. Unique in its spicy clove and licorice delivery, some nutmeg, and just scads of delicious fruits filling the mouth. The price point provided was $33. At this price I would buy a lot of this wine which is providing a wonderful experience now and has the goods to last 10 years like this. Tied for WOTN. 94 points.

2009 Domaine du Vieux Telegraphe CdP "La Crau": Ka-chow. Meaty, full, viscous fruit over a heavy tannic backbone. Garrigue, spice, everything here as it should be. Gonna be a great one. This 09 gave the 07 below a bad name, which bums me out because I have almost a full case of 07. 94 points.

2008 Domaine du Vieux Telegraphe CdP "La Crau": What I expected of a 2008, but still an easy drinking Rhone. Lacks the body of other recent vintages, and a bit weedy, but still a nice wine. 89 points

2007 Domaine du Vieux Telegraphe CdP "La Crau": Very similar to the 09, but it was either closed up or just not quite as good. I hope it was closed up. It seemed to have less fruit and was less viscous. Hard to judge next to the 09. Both 07 bottles at the tasting showed the same. 92-93 points.

2000 Domaine de la Vielle Julienne "Veilles Vignes": WA 97, I really liked it. No bricking whatsoever, deep dark brooding color. It was a monster of a wine at 13 years old, and probably has another 15 to go before it tanks. The fruit is still going strong, but it is starting to gain some earth and more up-front garrigue flavors. A wonderful traditional CdP wine, which might be why it didn't get as many oohs and aahs. 93 points.

Bonus wine:

2008 Moon Duck (Paso Robles, California): Really slutty. Coulda sworn there was some zinfandel in the mix. 92 points.

These are among the first 2009 CdP's I have tasted, and I have to say I am extremely impressed with that vintage.

Posts: 463 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes. I bought alot of 09 Vieux Telegraphe for myself and work.

Posts: 9396 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post