WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Petrolo Quartet (Torrione and Galatrona '04 and '05)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Petrolo Quartet (Torrione and Galatrona '04 and '05)
 Login/Join 
posted
I tasted these wines at the winery in July. Greatest part was that I could take the bottles home (our holiday home)! Allowing me to revisit them during the evening and the day after.

• 2005 Fattoria Petrolo Galatrona Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (7/20/2007)
    Ruby color. Full aromas of ripe currant and plum with hints of tobacco and cedar that keep on comming. Following trough full bodied and balanced with ripe fruit, some fresh acidity and refined tanines. Long, smooth finish. More ripe than 2004 but still refined and complex. Drink 2009 - 2014. (95 pts.)
  • 2004 Fattoria Petrolo Galatrona Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (7/20/2007)
    Bright ruby color. Initially full aromas of fresh red fruit and plum that keep on comming. Later (3-4 hours) including black fruit, chocolate and leather. Following trough full bodied on the palate with lots of fruit and some mineral character. Layers of ultra refined tanines. And a finish that keeps on lingering. Still just a baby, but dangerously seductive. WOW this is some serious stuff! Will have to lock this one away for some years. Drink 2012 - 2020.
    One day after it still showed beautifully complex aromas and was very fresh on the palate. The tanines are layerd and chewy but silky at the same time. (98 pts.)
  • 2005 Fattoria Petrolo Il Torrione Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (7/20/2007)
    Deep ruby color. Full tones of ripe blackberry and blackcurrant with hints of tobacco. Medium-full bodied with ripe fruit and refined tanines. Medium-long finish. Give it some time. Drink 2009 - 2012.
    Not decanted. Tasted over about 3 hours. This one is more classical, almost Brunello-like. (91 pts.)
  • 2004 Fattoria Petrolo Il Torrione Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (7/20/2007)
    Deep ruby color. Full tones of Blackcurrant, cherry and some fresh berries with hints of leather. Full bodied with lots of fruit and chewy tanines. Medium-long finish. Less tight than my previous encounter. Still very young and has the structure to last. Drink 2010 - 2018 (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

One of the greatest wineries of Tuscany!

ps: I am slightly puzzeled by the 'citrus rind' and 'raspberry' that JS refers to in the Torrione '05. To me it was ripe black fruit.....

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note on the '04 Petrolo Galatrona. I am thinking of grabbing one. I can get it for $90. Has anyone tried this wine in the last few months?

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4984 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. But there are several sleeping soundly in the cellar.
The price is very reasonable and, rest assured, this one is a 'must have'. Wink

Posts: 15478 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed a 'must have'.
The most recent prices I've seen in Italy are eur 125 +. At the current exchange rate I would say a definitive buy!

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes. The '04 Galatrona keeps tempting me, but I am showing some restraint. I will try to wait another year before cracking one....

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9636 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:
Indeed a 'must have'.
The most recent prices I've seen in Italy are eur 125 +. At the current exchange rate I would say a definitive buy!
I was at La Cantine in Greve last week and they had the 05 Galatrona available at 90 Euros. Seems like having a down vintage is no barrier to raising prices.

Another shop owner told me that he has to buy 3 Torrione to get each Galatrona - although La Cantina did not force any linkage.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Nope. But there are several sleeping soundly in the cellar.
The price is very reasonable and, rest assured, this one is a 'must have'. Wink
The price may be "reasonable" but I know you paid less for yours. Smile

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story about the 3 Torrione per one Galatrona is true for many other shops.
I don't find this an issues since the QPR of the Torrione is quite good.

The '05 is indeed cheaper than the '04 in some places. I'm glad I bought both pre-release......

Albert Jochems

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VT2IT:
The price may be "reasonable" but I know you paid less for yours. Smile

That's true, but I purchased mine a year or so ago. Honestly, I'm surprised you can still find this wine at this price.
It's an incredible value IMO. This is serious juice. Wink

Posts: 15478 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up until 2 years ago, I was paying 70-75 Euros for Galatrona (and the Euro was considerable cheaper then). So the price has been on a serious incline (notwithstanding the point above about this being serious juice).

On the positive side of this issue, I was in Miami a couple of months ago and found a store with a supply of both 03 and 04 Galatrona priced at $85 US. I bought all of his 04 supply (6 bottles) and he gave me a discount to $80 per. A good value! Smile

Posts: 5117 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm.. I SLOWLY tried a bottle of the 2004 Petrolo on Saturday night. To me this wine underperformed to my expectations. I have had bottles from several vintages in the past and while I understand it's complexity and the quality of winemaking, it didn't convey that velvety texture that I have come to like, or the delicacy and balance that I had hoped for. I'd give this another 8-10 years in the cellar to help round out the strong tannins. It's still a very good wine, and will continue to improve for a long time to come - but I'm feeling it drinks at 92 points at this juncture.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Nov 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2004 Fattoria Petrolo Galatrona Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (11/3/2012)
    It has been quite some time since I had a bottle of this wine. It needed a lot of time to open up. I let it slow-ox in the bottle. Initially it was one dimensional and only medium bodied. The second day it started to become more what I expected, still not as complex and vibrant as some years ago. But the fresh fruit and solid structure indicates that this wine will develop for many years to come.

Dark ruby-red color, bright red at the rim. Dense aromas of cherry, plum and some cassis and dark chocolate with hints of leather and wet earth. Full bodied with silky smooth layers of mouth coating tannins, some red fruit and fresh acidity. The finish is very long and remains fresh troughout. It still seems quite youthfull and has the structure to last for many years.
    Its silkyness reminds me of my first encounter with Ch. Petrus some years ago. Brings back good memories.... (93 pts.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jochems,

Albert Jochems

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Jochems. Since I only have a single 04, I'll let it sleep a little longer. I wasn't planning on opening it until its 10th birthday anyway.

Posts: 10067 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post