WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1990 Krug Brut Champagne
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1990 Krug Brut Champagne
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
  • 1990 Krug Champagne Brut - France, Champagne (9/1/2009)
    Straw yellow color with an active, fine bead. Aromas of toast, walnut, butterscotch and nectarine preceded an elegant mouth feel with a mature, stony acidity. Very elegant and plush. Long mineral finish. Gorgeous!

In a word: sublime. Cool

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5974 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy this wine, and this bottle was no exception.

This was the first time I have had this wine that I thought it was beginning to show a hint of age, but could very well just be this bottle.

What I enjoyed equally to the Champagne was seeing a number of folks experience their first truly world class Champagne. I took great pleasure hearing their comments and watching their expressions. Cool

Posts: 29576 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
What I enjoyed equally to the Champagne was seeing a number of folks experience their first truly world class Champagne. I took great pleasure hearing their comments and watching their expressions. Cool
Cool

Posts: 1761 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened for my girlfriend's birthday. I believe the color is showing a hint of age - fairly golden. Explosive nose of citrus and toast. The palate came in three waves: first was a full-bodied swell of citrus, butterscotch, and sherry. The mid-palate became a much purer profile of Granny Smith apple but still with notable oxidative character, and the finish turned yeasty and complex - reminded me of a very complex, slightly bitter triple cream cheese from Piedmont I had several years ago. Truly a new experience for me. I've had vintage Krug before, but never with 20 years from the vintage date. I'm amazed at how active the bead still is on this wine. Given that I'm new to this world, I still must say that this wine has to be a classic!

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
...I still must say that this wine has to be a classic!

Absolutely, without question.

Posts: 15122 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity is this the same girlfriend who likes sweet bubblies and if so what did she think of it?

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
Just out of curiosity is this the same girlfriend who likes sweet bubblies and if so what did she think of it?

Yes, it is. Beyond that, no comment.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take that to mean there was more for you to enjoy. Not a bad problem to have.

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
I'll take that to mean there was more for you to enjoy. Not a bad problem to have.

Wink Not all bad, eh.

posted Hide Post
This was a bottle I purchased a year or so ago from Rare Wine Co., so I'm assuming that it was stored properly, and the wine reflects this as well. "Fresh" mature Krug on the nose with apple and some yeast. On the palate it is just stunning though: Great backbone and acidity with ripe apple, gunpowder and just the beginnings of a mature champagne. I love the lingering minerality and the balance here. It seems relatively youthful to me and appears to have just entered its drinking window, based on this bottle. I could see well stored bottles riding this wave for 20 years.

This note is only from the first half of the bottle while it was still a bit cool. Will update for the second half of the bottle as it warms up.

Posts: 1579 | Registered: May 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jqmunro:
This was a bottle I purchased a year or so ago from Rare Wine Co., so I'm assuming that it was stored properly, and the wine reflects this as well. "Fresh" mature Krug on the nose with apple and some yeast. On the palate it is just stunning though: Great backbone and acidity with ripe apple, gunpowder and just the beginnings of a mature champagne. I love the lingering minerality and the balance here. It seems relatively youthful to me and appears to have just entered its drinking window, based on this bottle. I could see well stored bottles riding this wave for 20 years.

This note is only from the first half of the bottle while it was still a bit cool. Will update for the second half of the bottle as it warms up.

A brilliant wine indeed, and glad to see it is showing so very well as you celebrate your birthday! Cool

Posts: 29576 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was just a prelude to the celebration... the birthday dinner had to be pushed back because of my friend's work conflict :/

Posts: 1579 | Registered: May 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jqmunro:
That was just a prelude to the celebration... the birthday dinner had to be pushed back because of my friend's work conflict :/

Well... top that! Smile

posted Hide Post
Wine+art - I thought you were going to be in town this week! We raised a toast for you. Cool

• 1990 Krug Champagne Brut - France, Champagne (10/18/2010)
    Medium+ gold color with spice and slight citrus on the nose; Right after opening the first flavors were a hit of citrus with stone fruit (apricots), pear, hazelnut and honey flavors overlaying slight minerality. After being open for a while it became almost creamy and picked up brioche flavors. Outstandingly complex with integrated acidity, pinpoint bubbles and a heavenly mousse. This bottle was close to or on a peak that should last for some years. Superb! (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1880 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winetex:
Wine+art - I thought you were going to be in town this week! We raised a toast for you. Cool

Winetex, I was planning on two nights, but only spent one, and had plans.

I will make it a point to catch up next time, and thanks for the toast. Cool

Glad to see your bottle was showing so very well.

posted Hide Post
Oh, how I miss not having more '90 Krug in the cellar!

My mouth literally watered reading your notes. Smile

Posts: 15122 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! This sounds lovely. I intend on opening a bottle around Christmas.

Posts: 891 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will make it a point to catch up next time, and thanks for the toast. Cool

We thought that you might hear the Krug pop and materialize like all good Champagne geeks. Cool

Posts: 1880 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We thought that you might hear the Krug pop and materialize like all good Champagne geeks. Cool

I've literally seen w+a do this, winetex. Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have my talents. Cool

posted Hide Post
Last night's bottle was as good as the previous. In a truly difficult decision (not...) I decided that it is one of my all time favorite wines. Winner

quote:
quote:

quote:

I have my talents. Cool

The cork pop was on the quiet side otherwise I thought we might have an appearance by wine+art.

posted Hide Post
We enjoyed this wine this past Saturday night. While still not as good as the '88, it might be gaining on her. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Interesting view w+a.

from last year, i found hte 88 fresher but the 90 much more enjoyable now in terms of complexity and balance.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11008 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
Interesting view w+a.

from last year, i found hte 88 fresher but the 90 much more enjoyable now in terms of complexity and balance.

i am with you buddy... prefer the 90 to the 88 myself. but anyone can happily pour me either and i will be more than content.

The Dude abides.

Posts: 2363 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
Interesting view w+a.

i am with you buddy... prefer the 90 to the 88 myself. but anyone can happily pour me either and i will be more than content.

That 1990 you opened up at g-man's may be my 2013 WOTY... and we had 1961 Margaux last year...

Posts: 4351 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post