WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1990 Krug Brut Champagne
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1990 Krug Brut Champagne
 Login/Join 
posted
Pale yellow colour. Aromas of yeast/bread dough, sherry, hazelnuts, citrus. Full-bodied, plenty of acidity, with hazelnuts, sherry, apple, citrus, and toast. Long, lingering finish - 60+ seconds. Awesome champagne that really needs another 5-6 years. 95 points (08/27/2005).

My first Krug! Thanks to Phil Smith and J. for bringing this! Smile

Posts: 10878 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
krug and bollinger are my favorites.

chefalbino.com

https://www.facebook.com/albino.tuosto

Posts: 2594 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
futronic,

The '90 and the '88 are AWESOME!

Posts: 30081 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bold and yeasty orange marmalade notes on the front. Typical slightly sherried baked apples and a bold, biting firmly acidic finish. At least as much potential as the 88. ****

Posts: 1489 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Oct 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it a mistake to open one now? Confused

"Champagne for all my real friends, real pain for all my sham friends. . ." Tom Waits

Posts: 374 | Location: Yountville, California | Registered: Apr 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grape Ape:

Is it a mistake to open one now? Confused

Mistake?

No!

It's a BLESSING!!

Cheers!

Posts: 8391 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From magnum. Medium-gold colour. Very fine bubbles. Aromas of walnuts, hazelnuts, pear. Medium-bodied, very young from large format, showing currant, nuts, and sherry. Moderate finish, 35-40s, with white fruit. Give this time in the cellar. 93 points for now (11/19/2005).

Posts: 10878 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This beauty still shows no signs of fading.

Drinking fabulous, and starting to push the '88 imo.

Posts: 30081 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always loved this vintage of Krug. Unlike many I know, I've always felt it was a more than worthy challenger to the 1988, especialy for down the road. Looking for an owner of a 1988 to do a side by side in 5 years. I'm betting the 1990 wins. Wink RSVP.

PH

Posts: 15060 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In for two! Wink

posted Hide Post
Why did I suspect I might hear from you on this?

Razz Cool

PH

Posts: 15060 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first real champagne purchase was a magnum of '88 from the LCBO, for $450.

I'm be happy to put it up against a mag of the '90 Smile

"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret."
John Cleese (Basil Fawlty)

Posts: 499 | Location: Mississauga, ON | Registered: Feb 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys know where to find me when you do the 1988/1990 Krug magnum challenge.

Wine+art - from one champagne ho to another I salute you. Wink

Posts: 1897 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*waves to Winetex*

Figures that a Champers post would get you back over here for a bit. Razz Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Back at ya Fu.

I can hear whispers of Champagne over long distances. Smile

Posts: 1897 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, a vintage Krug tasting might not be such a bad idea ... myself and a friend picked up a few after the Krug dinner in Toronto, but they missed out on lots of great vintages there.

Anyone interested? I have an '88 mag, he has '90 and 95s ... how about it? Big Grin

"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret."
John Cleese (Basil Fawlty)

Posts: 499 | Location: Mississauga, ON | Registered: Feb 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you bring the wine, I'll be happy to drink it!

posted Hide Post
  • 1990 Krug Champagne Brut - France, Champagne (9/2/2008)
    Medium/dark straw color. Nose of lemon-lime, with ginger, toast, vanilla and a lovely stony minerality on the nose and palate. Incredibly long finish of well over one minute. The best bottle of bubbly I've had in my life. Stunning. (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

PH

posted Hide Post
1990 Krug (9/2/2008)

Can't add much to PurpleHaze's TN, except perhaps to pipe up about the macadamia on the nose. It had a gorgeous, full mouthfeel, though it was not as creamy as the '90 Grande Dame.

I've been lucky to enjoy several bottles of this wine. Eek Smile It is such a bruiser (in a good way). So tight, so young! I'm tempted to keep my mitts off additional bottles for a few years. (98 pts)

Posts: 1840 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: Feb 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 1990 Krug Champagne Brut - France, Champagne (9/1/2009)
    Straw yellow color with an active, fine bead. Aromas of toast, walnut, butterscotch and nectarine preceded an elegant mouth feel with a mature, stony acidity. Very elegant and plush. Long mineral finish. Gorgeous!

Posts: 15477 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
    Straw yellow color with an active, fine bead. Aromas of toast, walnut, butterscotch and nectarine preceded an elegant mouth feel with a mature, stony acidity. Very elegant and plush. Long mineral finish. Gorgeous!

Gorgeous indeed!

Posts: 2180 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:

Gorgeous indeed!
Second that! Wonderful notes of butterscotch and what reminded me of a great Highland single malt on the palate; the layers of coffee seemed to linger and stream over the stone fruits. Amazing!

Posts: 1770 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this about 12 months ago found this wine to be a bit underwhelming....I was 91points at best.
It wasn't corked altough it might have suffered from a 6 hour car trip up from New York city to my buddies place in Buffalo.....
FWIW....I enjoyed the NV Grand Cuvee more....

Posts: 1134 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to jump on the gorgeous band wagon for this wine. I was lucky enough to buy several bottles late last year from a local individual who had it from release. The price was outstanding so why not? It was outstanding from the first bottle. Unfortunately, I liked it so much I have very little left.

Posts: 513 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: Mar 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
I had this about 12 months ago found this wine to be a bit underwhelming....I was 91points at best.
It wasn't corked altough it might have suffered from a 6 hour car trip up from New York city to my buddies place in Buffalo.....
FWIW....I enjoyed the NV Grand Cuvee more....

This wine is typically pretty resilient. The bottle we opened endured a flight from Montreal to Chicago with a plane change in Detroit. All the wines that evening (including some 59' Bordeaux) suffered similar rough rides and showed stunningly the evening consumed and others the next day.

Posts: 15477 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post