WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2002 Evesham Wood Cuvee J Pinot Noir
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2002 Evesham Wood Cuvee J Pinot Noir
 Login/Join 
posted
The wine was tasted 1 hour and 40 minutes after splash decanting. It had a musty nose of cherries and dill pickles without the volatile acidity. On the palate, the wine had tart cherry flavors and some harsh edges. The great depth of flavor indicates this may evolve beautifully as the wine softens. My guess based on previous vintages of this wine is that it needs another 5 to 7 years. 89-93

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not had any wine from this producer. I can't really tell from your note if you would say buy or pass. What was the price?

Posts: 2259 | Location: Napa | Registered: Oct 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd buy. I've had Evesham Wood Cuvee J back to the 1993 vintage. These wines age magnificently. I paid $34.19 + tax.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll look for some over the Thanksgiving weekend. Do you know if they're open to the public?

Posts: 2259 | Location: Napa | Registered: Oct 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no idea. I've never visited them. Give them a call.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
I've been buying Evesham Wood pinots since the 1989 vintage, and all are still drinking well. The 1993 Cuvee J remains one of the greatest New World pinots I've ever tasted.

You'll have a tough time finding the Cuvee J in Oregon as it's somewhat of a cult wine (in the same mold as Cameron Clos Electrique and Thomas). I know Evesham Wood is distributed in California because I've purchased Cuvee J from Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa -- maybe you should check there first.

You can also check http://www.eveshamwood.com for info about visits and their current releases.

Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MarkH,

Posts: 401 | Registered: Dec 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ThanX for the info Mark. It looks like i'll miss them by a few days. The new Cuvee J looks like it will get released this weekend. I need to find out who they use to distribute their wine in OR. It sounds like a great addition to the wine list.

I'll check Bottle Barn. That place rocks.

posted Hide Post
Mark, I agree on the 1993. I believe we had our last one a year or two ago. I think I still have a 1994 left in the cellar.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
benchland,

Call Russ at the winery. He's a nice guy, may turn a few loose for you if you beg.

Alternatively, you may want to ask Russ which retailers may have some product around. The wine can be found.

And I agree with the overall comments. Nice wine, good aging, fair price.

If you have a chance, stop by and say "Hi" when you're in OR. We'll be pouring our wine (Le Cadeau) at 459 SW 9th Street in Dundee.

Tom M
Le Cadeau & Aubichon

Posts: 769 | Location: Now PDX; Was MSP | Registered: Dec 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on it. This will be my last trip to add anything to the wine list this year. I can't wait to taste your wines.

ThanX for the info.

posted Hide Post
We had our final bottle of this wine two nights ago. It just never evolved the way I expected. The best description I can give was that is was all you expect in a great OR PN x .85. Fruit and balance were there but it was boring and blah. Not too old, but maybe an off-bottle. Did not compare well to the better 2002s I've had. The 1993 would dance circles around this wine.

Just one more sip.