WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2005 Clos des Papes CDP
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 Clos des Papes CDP
 Login/Join 
posted
Does not seem to be a dedicated thread for this wine. A friend brought over the 2005 Vieux Telegraphe and the 2005 Clos des Papes. The Vieux Telegraphe was absolutely closed. The Clos des Papes was decanted, medium ruby color, nose opened up to a bit of spice after one hour, elegant and balanced with some tannin in the background but drinking quite beautifully right now. Will improve. 93 points

Posts: 1660 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pippin,
I have a six pack of this wine and have not tried it, nor any vintage from this producer. Your note has me itching to pop one and give it a whirl. I'm hesitant though because the couple of times I've opened up an 05 CdP including the VT I've very much regretted it.

Posts: 3199 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that it's drinking beautifully right now - I would think you'd have to sit on this for at least five more years to get any sort of definition and maybe another 15 until it starts drinking beautifully. That's great news, though. Many thanks for the note.

Posts: 755 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Nov 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AS I reflect on the two comments after I posted, maybe I said it was drinking well because the Vieux Telegraphe was simply impenetrable and made the Clos des Papes seem way more ready. I think it is OK to open one, decant for a couple of hours and it will be enjoyable.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope any of you with the 2005 Vieux Telegraphe will hold it til it's more than 15 years old. 20 is even better. The Clos des Papes is sure to be a lot better with another decade in the bottle.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36982 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
snipes, The Economist-

STEP AWAY FROM THE BOTTLES Eek

Geez! You go to such effort to score these, give them the opportunity to reward.
That's what you guys created cellars for. Cool

Posts: 15622 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
snipes, The Economist-

Geez! You go to such effort to score these, give them the opportunity to reward.

+1

Posts: 3010 | Location: San Luis Obispo, CA | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
snipes, The Economist-

Ha - there's no chance I'd be opening this up any time soon... It's just going to be quite the effort to just wait fifteen years, but I can do it (I think)...

Posts: 755 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Nov 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I hope any of you with the 2005 Vieux Telegraphe will hold it til it's more than 15 years old. 20 is even better. The Clos des Papes is sure to be a lot better with another decade in the bottle.

I must agree with Board-O. We all drink our wines too young. If they are modern styled wines from new world countries, I think they can be drunk young but not these kinds of CDPs.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6630 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

I must agree with Board-O. We all drink our wines too young. If they are modern styled wines from new world countries, I think they can be drunk young but not these kinds of CDPs.

But it is definetely OK to drink them when a friend brings them to your house!

posted Hide Post
make it one more that believes the '05 Clos des Papes and the '05 VT are closed-up ... especially the VT. For me, as they drink now, the Clos des Papes is a high 80's - low 90's wine, and the VT is a high 80's. Both need at least another decade.

Posts: 1876 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brash, to think we drank both so young. I'm still counting on you to share my last 1995 Pegau. Wink

Posts: 9482 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reality check. I'll continue to hold. And Yes Pippin I would be more than happy to sample someone else's bottle.

Posts: 3199 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Brash, to think we drank both so young. I'm still counting on you to share my last 1995 Pegau. Wink

as it turns out, Ashley and I are now expecting to be in MN shortly after X-Mas this year, so hopefully that '95 will gasp its last breath before the calendar rolls to 2010! Smile

Posts: 1876 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Cant wait to see you both again. Wineglas and myself will roll out the red carpet! Smile

Posts: 9482 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasted at a Meal in Willi's Wine Bar, Paris. Popped and poured. Instantly, you could tell this wine was alive. Lots of réglisse, dark fruit, and very modern in structure, curved lines and no rigidity. I think this one will keep, but it was a treat, nonetheless. 95pts

Posts: 1201 | Location: SLC,UT | Registered: Jan 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roentgen Ray;

Interesting. I was in Atlanta, on business, last week and had this with an old frat brother and his friends. ONe of his lawyers supplied the wine from his cellar. It was so shut down that not even the fancy little aerators could wake this puppy up. We ended up opening up another bottle for dinner and coming back after about 4 hours with the same results.

Interesting disparities! Smack

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's interesting to see the variation on the 2003 Clos des Papes and the controversy it has stirred up. Hopefully the 2005 will be a bit more consistent.

Posts: 1582 | Registered: May 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the 2005 CDP about 2 or 3 years ago and it was shut down for business. I did notice that it had lots of freshness which starkly contrasts with the 2003 version. The 2005 will be incredible past 2015 or 2018 when the ferocious tannins start to settle down. I'm not quite sure how time will treat the 2003s.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

Posts: 6630 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During my trip, I tasted three wines from 2005. One was the Clos du Papes, one was an E. Guigal Brun et Blonde from Côre Rotu, and the other was a Domaine Henri Gouges NSG Village wine. The NSG was mediocre, and the Guigal was very good. However, the vintage character of each wine was beautiful. I tasted several 2005s when they were first released, and I couldn't see why people were so ramped up by the vintage, they were all tight and tannic. Revisiting the 2005, I have changed my opinion. This time around, they showed strenght yet again, but this time with more elegance. They were not fat, they were not overbearing, and they were not rough. Nonetheless, they commanded a strong presence. The fruit of the NSG detracted from the vintage,because it was slightly green. The story was different with the Clos du Papes and the E. Guigal. These wines again demonstrated the elegance of 2005, but without distraction. The spice and fruit remaain a little reticent, but they are showing more promise, more grace, and more presence. My valuation on this vintage is improving as it begins to unfold. There is still much of the story to tell though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Roentgen Ray,

Posts: 1201 | Location: SLC,UT | Registered: Jan 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roentgen Ray:
During my trip, I tasted three wines from 2005. One was the Clos du Papes, one was an E. Guigal Brun et Blonde from Côre Rotu, and the other was a Domaine Henri Gouges NSG Village wine. The NSG was mediocre, and the Guigal was very good. However, the vintage character of each wine was beautiful. I tasted several 2005s when they were first released, and I couldn't see why people were so ramped up by the vintage, they were all tight and tannic. Revisiting the 2005, I have changed my opinion. This time around, they showed strenght yet again, but this time with more elegance. They were not fat, they were not overbearing, and they were not rough. Nonetheless, they commanded a strong presence. The fruit of the NSG detracted from the vintage,because it was slightly green. The story was different with the Clos du Papes and the E. Guigal. These wines again demonstrated the elegance of 2005, but without distraction. The spice and fruit remaain a little reticent, but they are showing more promise, more grace, and more presence. My valuation on this vintage is improving as it begins to unfold. There is still much of the story to tell though.

Well said.

posted Hide Post
quote:
snipes, The Economist-

Forgot about this comment. Smile Well I managed to hold off for another 3.5 years before trying the first.

Opened for a birthday dinner at Angele in Napa last week. The plan was to decant an hour or two at home prior to dinner. Popped the cork and a quick taste indicated no need. The searing tannins that I associated with '05s shortly after release were not to be found.

Poured into wide bottom decanter upon arriving at the restaurant and tasted about two hours later when the main arrived (braised lamb shank).

Deep layers of fruit, distinctive CdP funk on the nose and palate, but not obtrusive for those who don't care for that profile in their wine. Nice dark maroon color with plenty of freshness. Just a baby, but an enjoyable wine to drink with food. Modern in style and while holding back on it's true potential there was still plenty of fruit and enough character to keep it interesting.
I would guess this wine is a good 3-5 years away from beginning to shed some of it's baby fat.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, snipes.

I guess more patience in store for the bottles I have resting (of course, this was what I expected, anyways).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
Thanks for the update, snipes.

I guess more patience in store for the bottles I have resting (of course, this was what I expected, anyways).

+1

Posts: 1952 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
snipes, The Economist-

...says the person who got me to drab one of my bottles of 2007 pegau da Capo in exchange for you opening a 2004 chateau cheval Blanc. Lol classic! LOL