WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1997 Kalin Cellars, Sauvignon Blanc Reserve
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1997 Kalin Cellars, Sauvignon Blanc Reserve
 Login/Join 
posted
A bit of the Old World in the New.

Color: rich light honey, obvious age. First whiff, a bit funky. My wife thought dirty socks, I smelled old tires, but it blew off fast, and a great nose of citrus and honeysuckle perfume came through.

Wonderful richness, honey, restrained primary fruit, with grapefruit, persimmon, strawberry, and a spring water-like minerality that was wonderful. Good acidity, and creamy honeyed finish. Kalin's wines are always an adventure, and aged in-house before release. Mature, drink short term. 94pts.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8878 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalin is definitely not your run of the mill winery. Thanks for the TN. I have access to this from one of my distributors. How much is this in your area?

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4946 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$30 IW, regular retail.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8878 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1997 Kalin Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Reserve - USA, California, North Coast, Potter Valley (11/15/2012)
Deep color. Opens with an odd cheese aroma which blows off revealing toasty white fruit and lanolin qualities. Rich texture, but not heavy. White fruit, lanolin, petrol and citrus qualities. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1572 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post