WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Susana Balbo 2009 Late Harvest Malbec
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Susana Balbo 2009 Late Harvest Malbec
 Login/Join 
posted
I recently hosted a Wine dinner for 100 people. My theme was 100% Argentina. I spent a lot of time with my caterer to come up with authentic food from Argentina, but my two biggest challenges were
1) Sparlking wine
2) Dessert Wine
I finally did come up Susana Balbo's 2009 Late Harvest Malbec. At first I wasn't sure, because at the altitude that most of her Malbecs are grown, there really isnt a condition that would help with noble rot.
But like most of her wines, I was very happy. It was fairly complex. Hints of blueberry coated with cinnamon, cloves, tobacco and cherries. All present, but none over powering.

At 14% ABV, you couldnt classify this one as a fortified wine, yet it tasted and finished like many nice ports. It was fairly sweet, a little thin in body, but the finish was perfect.

A nice alternative to other dessert wines.

Posts: 8 | Location: New Milford, CT | Registered: Nov 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes! I didn't know they made a Late Harvest Malbec. We sell the signature at work which is popular.

Posts: 9424 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love this wine. It is not widely available but after tasting this a few months back with my rep I brought in a few bottles for the store. I thought the level of sweetness was just right. Glad you enjoyed the wine.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4984 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post