WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2003 Le Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2003 Le Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf-du-Pape
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 2003 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (9/15/2005)
    A litte muted of a nose and a tannic beast, as one would expect. Very nice fruit with beautiful licorice and spice flavors in a well structured wine. This thing should be very good with a bunch of bottle age, however, no regrets in opening a 375 this early. Will seek out more.

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1566 | Registered: Nov 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tomtom, do you think this is an unusual LVD? I'm wondering over all if the 03 vintage will be 'freaky' or if these wine will show typicity.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7669 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tilly, I just haven't had enough LVD to make a good comparison. I can say that if you had put this in with a number of California Rhone-style blends, I likely would not have been able to pick it out. It also seems more tannic that most other '03s CdPs that I've tasted.

Posts: 1566 | Registered: Nov 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Young CdPs are extremely difficult to evaluate. I bought five bottles based on Parker's rating, but I don't anticipate opening one for many years.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had our first one last night. I've never had a great Donjon...until this bottle! What a great CdP! Nose was a bit soft, but layers of juicy fruit explode on the palate. I realize this isn't much more than 9 years old, but I can't imagine it getting any better, though I wouldn't be in a hurry to drink these. I will, however, have another one soon. This was the quintessentially great CdP. Best wine I've had in quite a while. 97

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes me happy I bought a case of the 2010. I just have to live long enough to enjoy them.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5726 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I might be drabbing this one, but it was open for business. I haven't been a fan of Donjon, but it got a great review. Still this this far exceeded Parker's praise.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
You may need to explain what "drabbing" is.

Big Grin

Posts: 6456 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I think I'll bring one to Florida with me. I haven't sent out an email yet because my wife is losing most of her vacation due to Sandy and I'm not sure when she'll be there. I arrive the evening of the 13th and am not sure when I'm leaving.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Board-o you ought to be ashamed of breaking your cdp open before it is 15 years old. You must be a changed man. Razz

Posts: 489 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, according to what I read, it was in its drinking window, and I had 5, so I took the plunge, and I'm glad I did. I have plenty of other things to be ashamed about!

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Now I'm looking forward to my lone magnum of the '04 more than ever - in 2018 or so.

I am popping a '95 tonight though.

Posts: 5469 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O, your recent experience with the /03 sounds great!

I've been buying Donjon from the good vintages since the /98 was released. I began opening a few from different vintages over the last couple of years and have yet to be overwhelmed. I always figured it was due to my lack of patience so I'm intrigued by your TN.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on decanting the /03 if opened in the near future.

Posts: 17 | Location: North Shore | Registered: Jan 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also had yet to be overwhelmed by a Le Vieux Donjon previous to this bottle. It got a great review so I bought 5 bottles at release. This bottle seemed ready to me. No rough edges and loads of fruit and a juicy acidity. A little more depth and complexity, which could come from further age, would make this pretty close to perfect.

I decanted this and poured the last, sediment-bearing bit through a coffee filter into a glass. I tasted that part right away and was amazed. The decanted wine didn't really seem to improve in the glass, but was outstanding over the course of dinner. My suggestion would be to decant and taste right away and see what you think. You can hold it for quite a while. It certainly won't deteriorate for hours.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Board-O. Think I'll go stand one up.

Cheers!

Posts: 17 | Location: North Shore | Registered: Jan 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of the '05s. I hope they're as good.

Wish I was still able to crack one with you in FLA Board-O.

Posts: 1046 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe in NY

Just one more sip.