WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN 05 CHÂTEAU MARGAUX
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN 05 CHÂTEAU MARGAUX
 Login/Join 
posted
My lws opened this and a 05 d'yquem on 11/10/12 for public to taste for free!!!! Both were closed and tight in my opinion.

05 Marguax was opened and decanted at 9 am re bottled for tasting around noon and tasted at 2 pm.
Very tight and closed, zero sign of age in glass. Deep dark purple almost black in color. Berries and leather on nose. Berry, raisin on taste. Left me wanting more (small pour not a long finish as well). I can only imagine what this wine will taste like in 10 plus years. Not a numbers guy but 93 sounds right to me.

Posts: 807 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I also tasted the '05 Margaux with a friend in the trade recently.

It had been open for 12 or so hours. I'm guessing it may be one of the greatest wines in the past 100 years for the Chateau.

I find it curious this wine is being opened for tasting recently.

Posts: 30262 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gents - when would you anticipate this wine entering its drinking window based on this early look? Like DD this is also an anniversary year for me and am a fan of the Chateau.

Posts: 3197 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
gents - when would you anticipate this wine entering its drinking window based on this early look? Like DD this is also an anniversary year for me and am a fan of the Chateau.

I would absolutely love to taste this wine again at 20 & 25 years old, then again in 2055 on her 50th birthday.

I'm guessing the latter will not happen. Wink

Posts: 30262 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of these with a label that strangely has some blood on it, only discovered after I returned home. Nice to hear the positive feedback on this wine's potential!

Posts: 1694 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
It had been open for 12 or so hours. I'm guessing it may be one of the greatest wines in the past 100 years for the Chateau.

Very high praise indeed! As good as the magnificent 1959, which I'm sure you've had? The 1959 was the best I've ever had and I've had many vintages back to the 1928 and 1929.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36982 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O, I did say may. Wink

The '59 is indeed very special and the finest I have ever enjoyed.

The '59 vintage in general is the finest drinking vintage for Bordeaux currently and holding well in my opinion.

I have had two '28 Margaux wines. One was good and the other dead. I have had both the '28 & '29 Lynch Bages within the last 5 or so years, and both were excellent.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
I'm guessing it may be one of the greatest wines in the past 100 years for the Chateau.

As good as the magnificent 1959, which I'm sure you've had?

Board-O; DoktaP, w+a, LB, asterixes and I had the '59 at Kiki's a few yrs back and it was truly stunning. Based upon w+a's statement I would be compelled to pick up a few bottles if I were a younger man.

Posts: 15616 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
I'm guessing it may be one of the greatest wines in the past 100 years for the Chateau.

As good as the magnificent 1959, which I'm sure you've had?

Board-O; DoktaP, w+a, LB, asterixes and I had the '59 at Kiki's a few yrs back and it was truly stunning. Based upon w+a's statement I would be compelled to pick up a few bottles if I were a younger man.

The nose was truly mesmerizing.

posted Hide Post
i am unable to judge wines on future potential as I dont have the depth of knowledge, tasting history, have had opportunities to drink other vintages throughtout its drinking windows, etc. I would be very please to try both wines tasted yesterday again in 10 or 15 years.

Posts: 807 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post