WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2002 Launois Pere et Fils Grand Cru Blanc des Blancs Special Club
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2002 Launois Pere et Fils Grand Cru Blanc des Blancs Special Club
 Login/Join 
posted
2002 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Special Club - France, Champagne, Le Mesnil Sur Oger, Champagne (12/29/2012)

Opened by Allred. The Special Club was started in 1971 and is a group of 26 grower producers in Champagne who are dedicated to promoting terroir. To become a member a producer must grow their own grapes and be designated as RM's. They all use the same style bottle but have individual labels and represent the top offerings from each producer. The wines must go through a tasting by club members before it can be approved as a Special Club and then undergoes a second fermentation and 3 more years of aging before a final round of tasting by members for approval.

Light yellow color. This was showing some very nice complexity from it's age which made it stand out from the other champagnes at this dinner. Clean with a fine purity. Notes of peach, chalk and lime zest. Full bodied with a solid bead. 95 points.

VM

Posts: 12367 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of Launois.

Where in the world did you find this bottle? Premier Cru seems to be the only importer of Launois that I've found in the US.

Posts: 6566 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was Allreds bottle so I don't know exactly where he bought it. Cellartracker indicates that people have bought it at K&L and Binny's among other stores. I also see that Hart Davis Hart has 18 mags of this for $115 per bottle.

VM

Posts: 12367 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was a Binny's purchase. Locally, it is distributed by Grape News Importing, Ltd. Currently, Binny's, HDH and the Rare Wine Co. (Sonoma) are the only retailers showing any in stock (WS Pro).

I put in an order at binnys for four more of the 2002 in 750ml, plus two mags ($110). There is about a case left, if anyone is looking. I also ordered a bottle of he 2004 to try.

My note:
2002 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Special Club - France, Champagne, Le Mesnil Sur Oger, Champagne (12/29/2012)
Grand Cru, Blanc de Blancs. Deep yellow color. Lemon, citrus, mineral and toast qualities. Lovely melon, honeysuckle, lemon curd, mineral and biscuit qualities. Nice finish, and will get better with age. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllRed,

Posts: 1658 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
I am a huge fan of Launois.

Where in the world did you find this bottle? Premier Cru seems to be the only importer of Launois that I've found in the US.

Got one from K an L earlier this year.. They have had a series of Launois this past year. (As I did my 65' Krug and 68' Mondavi , oops thread drift).

Posts: 838 | Location: Carlsbad | Registered: Apr 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
I put in an order at binnys for four more of the 2002 in 750ml, plus two mags ($110).

I was going to buy some of these but after seeing what you bought, I don't think I need to. I'm sure I'll be drinking this at your expense again in the future. Think I'll buy some Special Clubs from other producers instead.

VM

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
I put in an order at binnys for four more of the 2002 in 750ml, plus two mags ($110).

I was going to buy some of these but after seeing what you bought, I don't think I need to. I'm sure I'll be drinking this at your expense again in the future. Think I'll buy some Special Clubs from other producers instead.

VM

Good, then I can drink those at your expense. Big Grin

Posts: 3616 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why else would I buy them?

VM