WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2007 Querce Bettina Brunello di Montalcino
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2007 Querce Bettina Brunello di Montalcino
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 2007 Querce Bettina Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (1/13/2012)
    Montalcino vintages '05 - '09 (Casa Middachten a 'Olanda): Ruby color. Vivid aromas of ripe blackcurrant, sour cherry some roasted meat and hints of cinnamon and red licorice. Following trough full bodied with very silky mouth coating tannins, lots of fresh acidity and some good fruit. And a very long and fresh finish that eventually turns slightly drying.

Perhaps not as fresh and refined as the '06 and '04 but overall at a similar level. I opened the bottle and consumed it over 10 hours. As usual the last glass was the best.... It is still young but very open and lively give it some slow-ox time to show its full potential. While it also has lots of structure to last for some time, based on my experience with similar BdM I expect that it will close down in a few years. Drink now or 2017 - 2027. (94 pts.)

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried any other 07 brunelo yet? Are they generally lower in acidity across the board?

Posts: 5117 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only tasted 2. You could take a look at my note on the Sesta di Sopra.

Based on these I would say 'yes, they are lower on acidity'. Perhaps not so much in absolute terms as more relative to the ripe fruit that is more prominent in both of them. In that sense I do understand the comparison with '97 that a few people are making.

Albert Jochems

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SAQ Signature just announced that they're releasing 96 bottles of the '07 Q-B this Thursday ($71).

Also 96 bottles of the '05 ($54)

Just sayin'....

Posts: 15478 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grab it. The 06 is a fabulous wine. We have run out in Australia

Posts: 100 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: May 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
SAQ Signature just announced that they're releasing 96 bottles of the '07 Q-B this Thursday ($71).

Also 96 bottles of the '05 ($54)

Just sayin'....

Rumour has it a limited quantity of these very wines (plus the 06 Riserva) may be available in Ontario in the not-too-distant future (albeit at slightly higher prices).

Just sayin'. Cool

Posts: 2771 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, VinT. Any chance you can drop a hint as to which distributor may be doing this?

Posts: 796 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:
Very interesting, VinT. Any chance you can drop a hint as to which distributor may be doing this?

I could tell you but then I'd have to...

Actually, I'm not sure I am at liberty to publicly disclose details that were shared with me in a private conversation, so email me at ... Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: VinT,

Posts: 2771 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is being sold at the SAQ signature store in Montreal this thursday.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6589 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:

Ahem....Mim, look 5 posts above yours Popcorn

Posts: 15478 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the '07 is a great wine, almost as good as the '06 IMO. The '05 is perhaps even more interesting right now. It has matured nicely and is giving loads of mature Brunello character already, albeit in a less dense and complex incarnation.

But the '06 riserva is a huge wine. An excellent Brunello just as the '06 normale, but then just more of everything while still being refined and delicate at the same time.

Albert Jochems

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Too much terroir. Big Grin

Posts: 2180 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:
But the '06 riserva is a huge wine. An excellent Brunello just as the '06 normale, but then just more of everything while still being refined and delicate at the same time.

I was a bit surprised and a little disappointed that the '06 Riserva isn't being released along with these. While I picked up a little of the '07 to try, it's the Riserva that I'm keeping my Brunello budget for at this time. I should get some visibility on that topic next month.

posted Hide Post
quote:
SAQ Signature just announced that they're releasing 96 bottles of the '07 Q-B this Thursday ($71). 17 bottles left in Mtl

Also 96 bottles of the '05 ($54) 15 bottles left in Mtl

It's gratifying to see that Roberto seems to have developed a following here as the release did very well again. Well done, Roberto Wink

posted Hide Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried the 2005?

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 718 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's gratifying to see that Roberto seems to have developed a following here as the release did very well again. Well done, Roberto Wink

Due in no small part to the founder of his Canadian fan club. I think he owes you lunch. Big Grin

I was told that if everything goes according to plan, the '06 Riserva should be available next spring.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
SAQ Signature just announced that they're releasing 96 bottles of the '07 Q-B this Thursday ($71). 17 bottles left in Mtl

Also 96 bottles of the '05 ($54) 15 bottles left in Mtl

Glad to hear this. I hope to see Roberto and Sandra next month.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:

UJ - I tasted the '05 a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. Not a long ager but a very good drink for the next 5 years or so. 2005 .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Longboarder,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:

UJ - I tasted the '05 a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. Not a long ager but a very good drink for the next 5 years or so. 2005 .

I opened a couple of '05s over this past year and my impressions were very similar to LB's notes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
I was told that if everything goes according to plan, the '06 Riserva should be available next spring.

Good to know.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

Good to know.

06 riserva in Ontario only as private import in the Spring or maybe a bit earlier! Have not heard from SAQ!

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jul 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by De Duke:
06 riserva in Ontario only as private import in the Spring or maybe a bit earlier! Have not heard from SAQ!

I will inquire about this when I attend a meeting with the SAQ late November.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:

I opened a couple of '05s over this past year and my impressions were very similar to LB's notes.

I have had the '05 several times now, last time was in August, and I think its the QB Brunello that is most ready to drink now. It has developed gracefully and reminds me much of some of the '98 Brunelli I've had at about the same time in its development. It has lots of classic Brunello character and refinement, perhaps only lacking in density and boldness compared to greater vintages. Still much better than many mediocre Brunelli from the those great vintages Big Grin

Albert Jochems

posted Hide Post
I am currently in Montalcino and I had the opportunity to taste the '07 today, along with many other QB wines (some from botti and others from the bottle). The '07 is ruby colored with a fresh nose of red fruit, christmas spice, and a hint of leather. I am told the acidity is slightly higher than the '06 but I felt it was slightly less evident. The tannins are present and a little more "dusty" than what I would call silky.

I would agree with Jochems that the wine does not taste quite as fresh as the '06 but freshness is the hallmark of the Brunelli from 2006. This bottle was popped and poured so it would be interesting to let it slow-O and follow the evolution. I find the wines from'07 to be unique. I can normally compare them to another previous vintage but I can't really say that for Brunelli from 2007. I enjoyed the Querce Bettina very much and would give it a 94 if pressed for a score.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ok ok, you said it first! Wink

Feel better now? Razz

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6589 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post