WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Château Brane-Cantenac (Margaux) 2000
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Château Brane-Cantenac (Margaux) 2000
 Login/Join 
posted
The corked was pulled, the wine decanted for 90 minutes, and the the wine was placed back in its original bottle (double decant).65% Cab S, 30% Merlot, Cab Franc 5%. Dark purple red color. Poop and leather on the aroma, not one of my favorite french aromatic profiles. However, the flavor was completely different. It was refined with fruit, flowers, cinnamon stick and highly structured. The tannins were refined but on point. 90-91 pts.

Posts: 1201 | Location: SLC,UT | Registered: Jan 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. JAR and I enjoyed a bottle of this wine recently.

Our bottle was all about the nose, and a completely different nose than RR's bottle. The nose on this bottle was so intoxicating you really did not want to taste, as you thought there was no way the wine could show as well as the nose.

When Margaux does show well, the nose often steals the show for me.

Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W+A- any opinion on readyness? I've got a few of these

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5566 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doc, I thought the wine was showing great promise based on the nose, and perhaps JAR will jump in here.

Based solely on this bottle, I would try one later this year if I were you and see what you think if you have several.

I would give the wine an hour+ in the decanter.

Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks W+A. I still have 3. I looked in cellartracker to find that I drank one in 11/2008 and I quite liked it, thinking it was getting ready to drink. I'll open another in the next year or so just to see.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5566 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just found out that I have four bottles left in my cellar. Totally forgotten about them.

Maybe I will open one during the superbowl party Big Grin

Hopefully it won't be disappointing.

Posts: 68 | Registered: May 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, as planned I opened one during the SB party yesterday.

Tried a few drops upon opening. Tannin was still strong so I decided to drink another wine first.

After about 1 hour decanting, the tannin was gone, nose was great with slight perfume smell, and alcohol was nicely balanced.

It didn't give me a wow factor but I quite enjoy it with the food served.

One thing I noticed. The overall wine was fading away when I drank the last glass. Maybe around 5 hours after it was opened.

I think it will last a few more years, but I would suggest start drinking it, which I will do with the rest of mine.

Posts: 68 | Registered: May 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post