WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2001 Haut Bages Liberal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2001 Haut Bages Liberal
 Login/Join 
posted
2nd bottle from the base, decanted last night.

Deep dark red colour, no signs of any age.

Earthy baked dark currant, spices, vanilla, branches, slightly twiggy nose.

Tart cherry attack with beautifully integrated tannins, and a strong middle tongue wave of sweet cherry. Very slightly astringent steminess that dissolves in the finish. Good balance, but not an overwhelming wine.

This is very good but it still feels tight, despite a 24 hour decant. I can't help thinking it's not quite ready. Give it another 2-3 years to reach its peak. Very solid. 89 pts.

must not buy any more wine, must not buy any more wine... DOH!!!!

Posts: 1106 | Location: London,UK | Registered: Mar 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note. I bought a case of this on futures, and after drinking a few, I have put these back in a corner of my cellar to age a little more. I haven't tried one in a while.

I think the 2001 vintage, for Bdx in general, is a little more backward than the major media seems to imply.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3087 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Despite my own advice, I cracked another, same experience. Not yet ready, even after 24 hours in decanter,the wine still feels locked up.

must not buy any more wine, must not buy any more wine... DOH!!!!

Posts: 1106 | Location: London,UK | Registered: Mar 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened one tonight, and it was drinking quite nicely. My wife poured most of the bottle for herself, indicating that it is, indeed, a fabulous wine! Wink

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3087 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
Opened one tonight, and it was drinking quite nicely. My wife poured most of the bottle for herself, indicating that it is, indeed, a fabulous wine! Wink

The 01's are really starting to come into stride IMO....glad she enjoyed the wine!

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2740 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post