WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1995 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1995 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon
 Login/Join 
posted
Decanted for one hour, saturated ruby to the edge, expressive nose fills the room, delicious with notes of blackberries, complex with a very long finish. Very elegant wine, very enjoyable to drink now with no signs of decline. Balanced and elegant, my kind of cabernet. 94 points.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kind as well, Pam Starr did a great job with the '95!

red4life

Posts: 1227 | Location: southern california | Registered: Dec 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had the 95 but last year I had a 91 and it was the best calif cab I ever tasted.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
haven't had the 95 yet either, but also had the '91. Was so impressed I bought another magnum of the '91 recently in an auction. Razz

Thomas Bougetz - Owner, Winemaker
Bougetz Cellars
http://www.bougetzcellars.com

Posts: 552 | Location: Napa | Registered: Dec 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1991 Spottswoode is an excellent wine, I have had it many times but I think the 1995 is just a bit better.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect cork, 13.5% alcohol, rich nose of blueberries and blackberries, needed one hour to open. Seems perfectly balanced with elegant fruit, most tannin resolved and a real long finish. Delicious right now and will probably keep for a few years. 94 points

posted Hide Post
As soon as I saw the title, I figured it was Pippin posting. Big Grin

Posts: 3027 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple, and methinks I need to pop one soon. Thanks for the note...

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9636 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 95 is really good stuff. Opened one for no particular reason, and went wow, I need to buy more of this.

Posts: 1437 | Location: Land of the Sick Cab Weekend | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Foghorn,

My mission is to keep you all informed on this great wine. Unfortunately, I only have two bottles and one magnum left.

posted Hide Post
Every time I see a posting on an early to mid 90's Cab....it's usually you. Smile That's a good thing. Unfortunately, I still have all my early to mid 90's stuff in CA, and haven't found a chance to go get it. Frown By the time I get to it, some of this stuff might be dead.

And for the record....I still think that '95 was an awesome vintage!

Posts: 3027 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect cork, decanted for one hour. Rich ruby color with no bricking, rich earthy nose, blackberries and blueberries, just kept getting better and better. Prime time, 95 points. Foghorn you are right, 1995 is a great vintage for Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.

posted Hide Post
Served with grilled rib-eyes, grilled veggies (fresh from the garden), and baked potato (with fixings). Decanted 2 hours prior to serving.

Deep garnet color with minimal bricking. Nose of currants, blueberries cedar with a hint of earthiness. Medium-full bodied wine with balanced acidity and silky tannins on a medium-long finish. Very balanced wine that worked perfectly with the food. Drink now with decant or hold over the short term - this wine is far from being over the hill. Red guy "A."

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2982 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. This winter coming up, I will find the right opportunity to open my last bottle which is a Magnum.

posted Hide Post
Seeing this made me think that I had consumed one of the two bottles I had. And I was right. Drank it back in May of last year. No formal notes, but I did comment that the 1995 Dalla Valle Cabernet was better.

Posts: 9636 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If that is true, I would love to taste the Dalla Valle. The Spottswoode was awesome.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2982 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had both wines many times and they are both excellent and in fact similar. Both have aged gracefully and the primary difference to me is the American oak in the Dalle Valle versus the French oak in the Spottswoode.

posted Hide Post
This is a good debate. I admire and respect a number of posters in this thread when it comes to more recent vintages of California Cabernet.

So, who is correct? Smile

Posts: 30257 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
This is a good debate. I admire and respect a number of posters in this thread when it comes to more recent vintages of California Cabernet.

So, who is correct? Smile

I say everyone is correct. Wine is subjective and comparing notes is part of the fun. I thought I could settle this debate by opening both wines but....I drank the last 1995 Dalle Valle earlier this year.

posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to open them side by side. Both were excellent, but DnVsMom and I both gave the nod to the Dalle Valle. If we repeated the excercise this weekend (and we could Wink), the outcome might change.

posted Hide Post
I opened a bottle of this wine earlier this week and I would suggest drinking soon.

It started beautifully, but began to diminish after 15-20 minutes in the glass.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6140 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post