WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1998 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1998 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame
 Login/Join 
posted
Reticent bouquet. I almost got my nose wet trying to pick up anything at all. But what I did detect was very nice -- fresh croissant, vanilla custard, freshly pressed pear juice. Elegant, refined on the palate, with subtle mousse. Just the right acidic crispness to balance the creaminess. Civilized and delicious. 93 points.

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need to make you happy." -- Eric Hoffer

Posts: 1133 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 1998 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut La Grande Dame - France, Champagne (5/1/2010)
    Nose offers some ginger, asian pear and toast notes. Palate is crisp and focused with green apple and roasted almonds. Really nice balance and mouthfeel glide effortlessly to a lively finish. Really nice. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 6574 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very excellent and fresh, but the complexity really didn't show until it warmed up. Comes across as very classy. 93pts.

Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like I will have to try one of the three bottles I have. My wife loves and resembles La Grande Dame.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this a buy at 110$?

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2788 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Is this a buy at 110$?

Is it a fair price? Yes
Is it for you? Very personalized question, but I do enjoy this from time to time.

Posts: 15666 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this a buy at 110$?

My guess is not your favorite style.

Posts: 30357 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this a buy at 110$?

It sells for $150 here. Roll Eyes

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6159 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Is this a buy at 110$?

Fair enough...kind of my thought as well but wasnt sure if it was worth a try at this price....you guys have other suggestions of fairly easy to find bottles in this price range? Feel free to email me Smile

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2788 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Is this a buy at 110$?

Fair enough...kind of my thought as well but wasnt sure if it was worth a try at this price....you guys have other suggestions of fairly easy to find bottles in this price range? Feel free to email me Smile

You may have already purchased this, but I've really enjoyed the '99 Bollinger Grande Annee.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6159 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Is this a buy at 110$?

Some Costcos in the SF Bay Area have bottles of the '98 VC LGD for $99.99 that come in an embossed pleather carrier instead of a box.

Posts: 908 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed last night with lobster bisque. The wine was much more expressive than it was three years ago. Fresh, invigorating tart apples, Meyer lemon, hints of fresh croissant, flowers and spice. Glad I have more of this. 94 pts.

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need to make you happy." -- Eric Hoffer

Posts: 1133 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1998 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut La Grande Dame - France, Champagne (12/29/2012)

Opened by LostVerse. 2nd time I have had this (last time was in 2005) with consistent notes. Does not seem to have changed much since then. Still going strong. 92-93 points

VM

Posts: 12356 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post