WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1983 Port: a 30 year retrospective
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1983 Port: a 30 year retrospective
 Login/Join 
posted
Here's a running list of declared houses
As there may be bottle variations feel free to post similar wines!
Most of these are in the 30-60$ range. Even the big houses are <100$
the only thing over 100$ are the noval nacional (~300$) and the niepoort (~150$)

Berry Bros
Churchill Quinta da Agua Alta
Cockburn
Croft
Croft Quinta da Roeda
Delaforce Quinta do Corte
Dows
Ferreira Quinta do Seixo
Fonseca
Gould Campbell
Grahams
Kopke
Kopke Quinta de São Luiz
Martinez
Niepoort
Noval Nacional
Offley
Osborne
Quarles Harris
Real Campanghia
Smith woodhouse
Taylor Fladgate
Warre

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12553 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I sit here comparing/contrasting a tawny and a ruby from my own handblown punt, I think I may have to seek out some 83's and participate. Any suggestions on where to score some of these?

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
As I sit here comparing/contrasting a tawny and a ruby from my own handblown punt, I think I may have to seek out some 83's and participate. Any suggestions on where to score some of these?

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/port/1983/usa

;-)

but barring the noval nacional, you can do a pretty definite retrospective tasting of all the top houses for future references too.

and 30 years is kinda a nice benchmark.

heck there's stuff i haven't even heard of that i'm interested in trying myself!

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12553 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heheh, that is where I went too, and looking at the top houses. Will post if I pop.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm picking up several bottles of the '83 Dow's this week. At least one of them will be consumed in the near future, and I'll definitely report back...... Smile

Posts: 919 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a 1983 Graham somewhere. I'll dig it out, stand it up and give it a go this month.

PH

Posts: 15365 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a huge VP drinker but enjoyed a 1983 Warre's last month:

Great vintage port hitting a nice stride of maturity. Simultaneous ripe fruit combined with nice chestnut maturity alla tawny port. Lots of walnut skin and lacquered wood complexity. Awesome Vintage Port for ~$70. 92 Points.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 775 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in for an '83 Cockburn.

Will need some coaching on this though as I really know nothing about VP.

- Will this need a decant for air in addition to sediment?
- Looks like blue cheese is what goes with?
- How long can I keep it after I've opened it?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3516 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I'm in for an '83 Cockburn.

Will need some coaching on this though as I really know nothing about VP.

- Will this need a decant for air in addition to sediment?
- Looks like blue cheese is what goes with?
- How long can I keep it after I've opened it?

surprisnlyg one i've never had and would be curious to hear acutally but certainly decant for sediment.

as with cheese since i've never had this I can only guess a lighter goat blue.

also guessing it should keep for 4-5 days

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
i brought a 83 quinta de Rodeda to the gentleman farmer offline last month in NYC but we did not consume (opened a sauternes instead)
we should do a 30 year retro this year, between the various boards we should get all the bottles!

Posts: 827 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by differentdave:
i brought a 83 quinta de Rodeda to the gentleman farmer offline last month in NYC but we did not consume (opened a sauternes instead)
we should do a 30 year retro this year, between the various boards we should get all the bottles!

it owuld certainly be a grand forum tasting!

wanan swing by when you've done drying your walls for open a bottle night?

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
YES however wife has been on my case for not having you guys to our house so lets do it but we would like to have the little g-man and mrs g-man for a day/night as our guests.

We (the two of us) can meet up whenever. I think I have 3-4 different 83 VP's

Posts: 827 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1983 Fonseca

Popped and poured (but feels like I shoudl have given it a 3-5 hour decant, will retaste again)

Nose of condensed milk, bitter cocoa powder blended with some strawberry jam and some baking spices.

The mouthfeel follows through with the nose showing off a spirity and an apparent sweetness. The spirits lends to a spicy finish that lingers and warms you up.

88 pts.

Will have to retaste tonight after everything has meld better and the spirits blow off.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
I'm opening one of these for an offline this week. I've stood it up. Just keep it upright and take it to the offline then decant for sediment?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3516 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i decant for sediment before and clean out the bottle to put it back into the bottle.

then take to offline.

it's going to be spirity, if the temp outside is real cold you might want to keep it spirity =)

but if the restaurant is warm, i'd rec keeping the bottle open during the meal.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)