WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2002 Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses (William Fevre)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2002 Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses (William Fevre)
 Login/Join 
posted
This wine was served with steamed lobsters and the combination was excellent.

The color was a very pale green-gold. The nose of melons, tropical fruit, and citrus was completely devoid of oak. On the palate, the wine was very crisp with flavors of melons and grapefruit. It was still very closed and needs at least another year or two. It's already outstanding. How good it will be is difficult for me to ascertain. It kept improving through the lengthy dinner, with the last sips being by far the best. Be sure not to serve this wine overly chilled. 92-95?

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes Board-O.

I bought 4 each of the 02' Clos, Valmur, and the Preuses. I've tried the Clos and one Brugros so far. Both were excellent, and the Brugros was really nice and complex. I may go back and get a few more Brugros. I plan try one of my Preuses and Valmurs too.

I also picked up 4 btls each of Christian Moreau 02' Valmur and Clos from Woodland Hills last week. Looking forward to trying one of those too.

Wish I could find some 02 Billaud Simons at a reasonable price. Pops list it for $70 blt?

Have you tried any 02' Pinson?

Posts: 764 | Location: twin cities | Registered: Oct 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O...what are YOU of all people doing drinking 02 Grand Cru Chablis already?? tsk...tsk...tsk

Posts: 255 | Location: Minneapolis Warehouse District | Registered: Jan 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
m-d-p, it's not like it's a tannic wine. I find most Grand Cru Chablis at its best about 4 years after vintage.

m61, do you mean Jean Moreau? I love his Chablis, with his Clos des Hospice (from a small section of Les Clos) to be consistently outstanding, except for the puzzling 1997. I didn't find the Fevre Les Clos. I hope to. I've never had a Pinson.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O
Nope...a son I believe, Christian, who inherited part of the Jean Moreau estate after they got it back from the negotient. Christian has a great web site, check it out.

Pinson is another small producer with limited distribtion over here.

Posts: 764 | Location: twin cities | Registered: Oct 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had this at a BYO dinner Saturday night. No notes were taken. This was a crisp, obviously young Grand Cru Chablis with a pervasive minerality and great lemon edge to it. If we'd had this at home, I'd have decanted it for an hour. I think it's acidic edge and bite need a couple of more years to round into shape. 92-95

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
We had this wine again recently. I found the nose closed with hints of citrus. The wine was flinty dry, crisp, with lemon and mineral flavors dominating. Still young. I tend to like my whites young, but this wine still needs some time. 90 It paired well with pan-seared sea scallops.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Nice note! I agree on drinking white Burgs young I just love them young... Fevre and Preuses is a nice combination...

The 2004 is oh so good....

Posts: 41 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Jun 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had another bottle of this wine last night. Though I tend to like most Chardonnays young, I think this one has benefited from the additional age. The color is still a pale green gold. The nose was a bit light with some citrus and honeydew. On the plate, the wine was nicely crisp with notes of pineapple, minerals, and melon. Seems ready now. 93

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Solid, youthful wine. Crisp steely minerality with a does of lime. I'd never guess this to be 10 years old. Pale straw color. Cut right through the lobster tails and butter. 92

Just one more sip.