WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2005 Chateau Puygueraud (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Cotes de Francs)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2005 Chateau Puygueraud (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Cotes de Francs)
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Glenn, balance was outstanding in the bottle I had, and I heard myself say "wow" a couple of times, hence the 94. Smile

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8960 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... just last year, reports were the '05 was closed but it looks like it's about to hit its peak. Does the fast rise mean a shorter than expected peak period?

I think I may have a couple bottles left. Maybe it's time to pop one of them soon.

Posts: 1312 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please post notes if you open one. As you have two or so, unless you favor youthful fruit, I'd wait a couple of years. It's far from fading.

-IB

Posts: 8960 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shared a bottle last eve with simple pasta/sauce, manchego cheese, and a salad.

Notes consistent with previous. If you've been waiting, please try one. Really delicious and well balanced, delicious fruit, licorice, acidity, mellow tannins. Threw quite a bit of sediment. Drink or hold. I wish I'd bought more than a case. 94pts

-IB

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Shared a bottle last eve with simple pasta/sauce, manchego cheese, and a salad.

Notes consistent with previous. If you've been waiting, please try one. Really delicious and well balanced, delicious fruit, licorice, acidity, mellow tannins. Threw quite a bit of sediment. Drink or hold. I wish I'd bought more than a case. 94pts

Thanks for the note. Have been wanting an excuse to open an 05 Bdx, and this won't make me feel guilty (I think I have 12 left...and gawd I think I have about 200 bottles of 2005 Bordeaux)!!

"No TV and no beer make Homer...something, something"

Posts: 3302 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Originally posted Feb 20, 2015
2005 Chateau Puygueraud (Cotes de Francs)
Controversial cheapie that I bought around ten of. Have not had in a while. Upon popping, nose is pure anise. In the past, this wine drank best with three hours of air time. It has been open for 90 minutes. Color is still deep purple but now with some bricking on the edge. Initial anise bouquet has been replaced by tea and strangely enough, saffron.
Alcohol has always been noticeable in this wine and still is. Regardless, its youthful fruit is starting to fade just a bit and the earth and tea notes streak through luscious plum and anise. A great wine for the price. 91 points tonight.

Posts: 596 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WT, thanks for the notes.
Machine, I hope you enjoy it. I probably rate this higher than most, but that's because I think it's more delicious than most at this stage. Wink

-IB

posted Hide Post
quote:
WT, thanks for the notes.
Machine, I hope you enjoy it. I probably rate this higher than most, but that's because I think it's more delicious than most at this stage. Wink

I counted 12 left in the VK (about to be 11), and I think that was from 36 bought on futures...loved it big bold tannic fruity and young but it did seem to start going through a 'dumb-ish' phase. Going to pop one now, will report back...

Very spicy, a bit of wood, plenty of tannin and acidity. Nice juiciness initially, and the nose jumped out of the glass. Feels good in my mouth, soothing my stresses away, coats the entire mouth quite nicely. Would love a little more tar on the palate. Subtle licorice aroma, light herbs and some spices. Dark cherry palate. This bottle is less advanced than one I had about 18 months ago. Still fairly tannic, moreso when first opened. Sad to have only 11-1/2 left, but looking forward to the other half of tonight's bottle tomorrow evening. More complex aromas as it gets more air, but I'm having difficulty not quaffing it down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Machine,

Posts: 3302 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How did the rest of the bottle fare for you Machine?

-IB

posted Hide Post
quote:
How did the rest of the bottle fare for you Machine?

More of the same, held its own on evening 2, still would have liked to see a little more tertiary (this did really seem less developed than prior bottles).

posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thanks much.

-IB

posted Hide Post
quote:
Excellent. Thanks much.

I feel like I should test out one more...possibly next week, if so I will comment.

posted Hide Post
Excellent QPR IMHO

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 6184 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post