WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2005 Chateau Puygueraud (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Cotes de Francs)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2005 Chateau Puygueraud (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Cotes de Francs)
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 2005 Château Puygueraud - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Côtes de Francs (8/10/2008)
    popped and poured a glass, then splash decanted half of the bottle. Set the other half aside for tomorrow. initial nose was of dark cherries and a hint of dusty earth. Dark inky wine in the glass. First taste - dark cherry and berry fruits that were almost immediately hidden by the tannins. The tannins were strong - not strong enough to hide the fruit - but way more than I like in my wine - it was similar to biting into an unripe persimmon. The wine was very tight until it had spent an hour in the decanter. As the tannins mellowed - the wine opened up and the dark cherry fruit and dark berry flavors came back out. Layered on top of the fruit was a very slight dusty earthyness. By hour two in the decanter, the tannins had softened enough that I was not having to "read" what was underneath the tannin. This wine has all the right elements. I'll update for day two after tomorrow. I gave the wine 91 pts based on where it was when I had my last glass (it started much lower because of the heavy tanins) - it will probably add another point or two with a few years of bottle age. This is a steal at $30. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thirsty man,

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
before anyone chimes in on the QPR of the wine and relates how they used to split a bottle of this wine with Honus Wagner and it only cost a nickel - Try the wine. I think it is better than many $50 bordeauxs and I think its a steal at $30.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note. I like Puygueraud's house style and will most likely pick some up when it eventually hits the shelves here. It will probably be the only 2005 Bordeaux I buy.

Posts: 10116 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note thirsty man. I bought half case at $14.99 right before the score was released. I am glad I did. I have not had any yet, but I am tempted to open one when they arrive in the fall. Sounds awesome.

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought 6 bottles just after the score came out as futures for $22Cad. It is one of those bordeaux 2005s that I will open up first.

But thanks for the note, thirsty man.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6599 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good enough for me..going to head to my neighborhood place and pick up at least a three pack..

Posts: 3714 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike - I suggest you buy one bottle at a time. I buy one every year because I'm always hoping to love it. To each his own.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2627 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DAY TWO

same color, more heat on the nose than yesterday. Tannins are still present - but not nearly as strong as yesterday. The dusty earthyness taste is a little more prominent and the dark cherry/dark berry flavors are a little more tart. That said - still a very good bottle of wine for the money - just too young. Give it time because of the tannins - I'll be opening another one NEXT winter to see where it is.

G

posted Hide Post
Thirstyman,

Thank you so much for the notes, I usually find second day notes as valuable as first day ones. Although, unless you buy a BUNCH, maybe hold off a bit longer than 18 months to pop another? I'm hoping to hold off for another four or five years before I try another (first one was corked).

Also, you might try the Petit Bocq, if it's available locally. It's an even less auspicious cheapie that is a QPR winner.

Again, thanks,

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8882 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a good value for the $15/bottle I spent. Can't say I would spend twice that for it given all the '05 petit chateaus out there, but as long as you're happy with it for 2x, I'm glad for ya!

Posts: 427 | Registered: Feb 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimBrennan:
I thought it was a good value for the $15/bottle I spent. Can't say I would spend twice that for it given all the '05 petit chateaus out there, but as long as you're happy with it for 2x, I'm glad for ya!

Thanks JimBrennan - I would be interested in hearing which of the 05 petit chateaus you believe to be equal or better at a lesser price. I am not being sarcastic - I am serious. thanks in advance

G

posted Hide Post
Its pretty tight right now. If you don't have a nice stockpile better hold off drinking it. In a few years it'll be a great little wine.

Posts: 117 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jun 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Offhand, ones I liked that can be found pretty easily include: de Fonbel, Saintayme, Faizeau, Bernadotte, and Beaumont.

Of course, tastes are an individual thing, so your milage may vary.

Posts: 427 | Registered: Feb 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Château Puygueraud - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Côtes de Francs (9/13/2008)
WIML91?

Tasted September 13, 2008 at an offline.

Opened and decanted about 4 hours before double decanting back into the bottle and serving a little over an hour later. Purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of currants and plums. Flavors of berries and plums. Medium to bright acidity, medium to firm tannins, medium to full body. Hold. (91 pts.)

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13556 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
2005 Château Puygueraud - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Côtes de Francs (9/13/2008)
WIML91?

Tasted September 13, 2008 at an offline.

Opened and decanted about 4 hours before double decanting back into the bottle and serving a little over an hour later. Purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of currants and plums. Flavors of berries and plums. Medium to bright acidity, medium to firm tannins, medium to full body. Hold. (91 pts.)

HOLD? Did you not see the troll R&R Cowboy said? Wink

Posts: 30136 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me what the varietal %'s are with this wine?

I've got a sixer coming...

Posts: 490 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WineTrooper:
Can anyone tell me what the varietal %'s are with this wine?

I've got a sixer coming...

Most years, 35% Cabernet Franc, 35% Malbec, 20%Merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon.

Posts: 30136 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks W+A. The top-heaviness of cab franc and malbec is a bit surprising to me. Is that normal for this bordeaux appellation's other wines?

Posts: 490 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever its made up of, it is mighty satisfying. Reminds me of a complex aussie shiraz that is thrice the price. Sure hope that LCBO gets some more of this and does not mark the price up too much over the futures price.

"No TV and no beer make Homer...something, something"

Posts: 2638 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
Reminds me of a complex aussie shiraz that is thrice the price.

Eek Say what? I haven't opened a 2005 yet, but that is not how I would typically describe a Puygueraud.

Posts: 10116 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
March WS 2005 Bordeaux issue states 70%Merlot, 25% cab franc, 5% malbec.

posted Hide Post
Steve8 - each to their own. We all have different palates and different reference points.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Nov 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WineTrooper:
March WS 2005 Bordeaux issue states 70%Merlot, 25% cab franc, 5% malbec.

Interesting...I went to a Thienpont tasting of these wines and the Vieux Certan when the '98's were released. (2000?) The vineyard and blend was as I listed above, but I'm sure WS is right.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Most years, 35% Cabernet Franc, 35% Malbec, 20%Merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon.

Would that particular blend be typical of North bank or South bank Bordeaux? Razz

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6117 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W+A, no worries you may be correct. I am just curious if Cotes de Francs estates tended to go heavy on the Cab Franc/Malbec.