WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    The 2011 Cotes du Rhone reds thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2011 Cotes du Rhone reds thread
 Login/Join 
posted
Hopefully grossie, as the starter of the 2010 thread doesn't mind me kicking this one off.

2011 St. Cosme - popped and poured, following over an hour and a half. Medium purple-ish in color. Aromas of berries, violets, grape jelly, with hints of sticks and stones in the background. Medium-bodied. Quite tannic and acidic. The fruits coming through are raspberry, strawberry and blueberry. Not much spice at this point. Decent, but I was expecting better; maybe it needs a little time to seettle down. I'm sure I will try this wine again before too long. 87.

Posts: 5405 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly don't mind. I also don't know a thing about the vintage. Was 2011 supposed to be good there? Overall I quite liked 2010, better than 2009 I think.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5560 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe WS gave it a preliminary vintage score of 89-92. Figured St. Cosme was as good a bottle as any to start with.

Posts: 5405 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:

2011 St. Cosme - popped and poured, following over an hour and a half. Medium purple-ish in color. Aromas of berries, violets, grape jelly, with hints of sticks and stones in the background. Medium-bodied. Quite tannic and acidic. The fruits coming through are raspberry, strawberry and blueberry. Not much spice at this point. Decent, but I was expecting better; maybe it needs a little time to seettle down. I'm sure I will try this wine again before too long. 87.

Had this wine last month...

Dark ruby color. Red and black berries, spices and red meat on the nose. On the palate, it’s dense, well made, somewhat chewy, but not overdone or round. Lots of fruits (cooked raspberries, blueberries), pepper, meat. Good acidity which help balance the alcohol (14%). The finish is a little dry, but overall well appreciated. 88-89. Made of 100% Syrah grapes…

dzitt

Posts: 841 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried both the red and white of la vieille ferme for cooking wines. Neither are as good as the '10 versions of the same. Both are fine as cooking wines. I'll miss the '10 white as it was very nice to drink while cooking.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3466 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to a 2011 CdP trade tasting on Feb 25th. I am sure they will have some CdR. I will report back.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4961 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post