WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1995 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1995 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli
 Login/Join 
posted
Dark ruby colour; almost opaque. Aromas of barnyard/funk/animal, cranberry, black plums, spice, vanilla. Medium-full bodied, with notes of vanilla, black plums, and cherry. Moderate finish, 25-30s, with black fruit. Revisit in 3+ years. 91 points (03/05/2005).

Posts: 10693 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spectacular wine. Very powerful nose that almost jumps out of the glass. Great concentration on the palate without being heavy at all. This wine has both the power and the grace you expect in a great Brunello. I think it’s ready to drink now. It would be wonderful to sit down with this wine and watch it evolve in the decanter over the course of an evening. Unfortunately, I don’t have any. 94.

Posts: 670 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1995 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli
A dark, thick, and brooding Brunello, which has finally begun to soften slightly with age. The primary fruit has started to recede, exposing a more mature and subtle profile. Nevertheless, the wine is thick and powerful in the mouth, showing intricately constructed notes of tar, black fruit, and dried pine needles. While this isn’t traditionally made Brunello, the wine has retained good acidity and structure, and perhaps most importantly, it isn’t marred by heavy-handed use of French oak. A wonderful wine that will continue to evolve and mature. 95

Posts: 670 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What? You couldn't wait until April?

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13289 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes. I've only got one bottle of this vintage, so I'll sit tight for a while, but it sounds wonderful.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This old wine taught me a good lesson.

This was my sole 1995 Brunello... everything else I have or have tried is 1997 or newer. So my oldest Brunello to date... with 12 years on it.

I decided not to decant, but to just pour and swirl. It was closed initially, with the nose opening first.

Wine was dark despite its brown rim. Nose was striking... Within about 30 minutes, I thought the wine was opening up well. For the first hour, the powerful nose and flavors seemed to be about what I'd expect from an old Brunello. But I wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped to be from a 96pt wine.

The fruit seemed to have thinned quite a bit and the tannins were soft, but still present, as if they'd outlast the fruit. Seemed a little disjointed. I was thinking this was a 91ish pt experience, and that the wine was on the downslope.

Then I took my son to bed and came back to the wine about an hour and a half later. Wow! The wine had filled out tremendously... It seemed much more integrated than earlier... with powerful well-knit dark sangiovese flavors. Truly delicious and finishing with length and character that matched the big nose much more closely.

Based on my impressions after an hour, I expected the wine to fade fairly quickly, and would have bet money it wouldn't improve more during the second hour. Boy, was I wrong. 94-95pts.

I feel sorry for anyone who finishes off this wine too quickly after opening it... You'll be missing out!

I have the '97, '99 and '01 of this wine, and I plan to open the '97 soon to compare. I'll probably decant it for several hours.

Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent! We're popping two of these at the Brunello offline in two weeks. Sounds like a 2 hour decant is perfect. Thanks for the timely note.

Joe
-----

Posts: 13289 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WIML,

It doesn't appear the wine was decanted at all. Just allowed to breathe in the glass for a couple hours. I've never been a fan of decanting Brunello, and it sounds like this wine should maybe just audouze for a couple hours after pouring it down into the shoulder.

Maybe we should take that into consideration for the offline?

Thanks for the timely note, Lentini! Smile

Posts: 10693 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. I made a leap. Skimmed right over that. So, in the end, the two of us need to pour ourselves a glass in the room a couple of hours before and let it sit and then we drink all of it by ourselves before anybody else gets a shot, correct? Wink

Joe
-----

posted Hide Post
Something like that. Razz Big Grin

posted Hide Post
That's the ticket!

I'm very sorry to be missing that event... take good notes for us. I'd like to hear various opinions.

Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1995 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (4/14/2007)
WIML92?,WA93,WS96

Tasted April 14, 2007 at an offline. This was from the better of the two bottles provided (bottle one had a little too much funkiness to it). Dark garnet color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Just a bit of “funk” on the nose that blew away revealing some notes of saddle leather, spice, plums and other dark fruits. Big chewy black currants on the palate with some notes of anise and dark plums. Medium acidity and tannins, full bodied. Can be drank now but I’d recommend holding another year or so just to see how it develops with more bottle age. We’ll call this one my Brunello of the evening. (92 pts.)

Joe
-----

posted Hide Post
  • 1995 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (4/14/2007)
    3rd Annual Philly Brunello Offline (Pumpkin Restaurant, Philadelphia, PA): Not decanted. Tasted from the better of the two bottles. Dark ruby colour. Brooding nose of black licorice, black plums, black cherry, and animal fur. Medium-full bodied, with dark fruit and sottobosco notes. Moderate-long finish, 35-40s, with dark fruit notes. Brunello of the night. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

posted Hide Post
Daniel Fulton provided another bottle of this wine at an off-line in Philly last week. BTW, if you are ever in Philly, ModoMio is a wonderful BYOB in the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia. They have 4 course Turista menu nightly for $33 that is one of the best values I have found in any restaurant.

All of the rough edges of this wine have now become fully integrated. Daniel served the wine blind and I guessed a '97 BdM. Interestingly, I specifically stated that I did not think it was the Montosoli since it did not show the power that this vineyard normally exhibits. The wine had been open for approx. 1-2 hours and there was no bricking. The color was garnet and the nose was definitely more dark fruit. Distintive licorice notes should have been a hint of the vineyard but I let my palate take over. The dark fruit (plums and a hint of blueberries) is predominant with nice, but not typical acidity. After much debate, we all came to the same conclusion that the bottle was a little off (possibly a little heat damaged). The wine seemed to be from a hotter vintage (i.e. my guess of 1997) than 1995.

Not a bad wine but not what I have come to expect from a '95 Montosoli. 90 points.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bummer, as the one I had was one of the best Brunellos/Brunelli I've tasted.

posted Hide Post
We opened a bottle of this while visiting some friends in Virgina last weekend. It was asolutely terrific.

Tremendous depth, with multiple layers of flavor. Pretty violet aromas on the nose. Meaty, spicy, plummy, supple and very long. One of the best glasses of Montosoli (of any vintage) I have ever had. 96P.

Had it with a grilled leg of lamb that had been marinated overnight in yogurt, bay, thyme and garlic. Great pairing.

Cheers,

Otis

Posts: 3413 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by otisabdul:
...It was asolutely terrific... One of the best glasses of Montosoli (of any vintage) I have ever had. 96P...

That sounds like a 'Drink Now' to me! :cheering: Now that's what I wanna' hear! Thanks for the notes.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Affirmative, stickman. This bottle is go for launch, IMO.

Cheers,

Otis

Posts: 3413 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"T minus three and counting..." Big Grin

posted Hide Post
The best bottle of this wine that I have tasted. Great nose of leather, allspice, red fruits, and "Italy". Those of you that know me will know what I mean by that. Garnet in color with no bricking. This wine has continued to improve since I last tasted it at the 2007 Italian off-line in Philly and later with Daniel Fulton. Best bottle by a mile. Really hitting its stride now as everything is in balance and screaming Brunello right now. The fruit is out front which was what was lacking in previous bottles. That sweetness and purity that only comes with mature BdM is present now. This is classic mature brunello now and if you have one don't hesitate to open it. 96 points.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew that I had had a bottle of this at one time, so a cellartracker search ensued. I had it for my birthday in 2006. Barolo was better that night, and it seems I clearly should have waited a few years. I am now encouraged to seek this out again.

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9634 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is classic mature brunello now and if you have one don't hesitate to open it. 96 points.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Fantastic bottle.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had this again last night at Canlis in Seattle. According to the Somm this bottle was provided direct from the Estate and the provenance was impeccable. Showing that provenance is really the most important factor in these wines, this bottle was showing extremely young with very primary flavors upon opening. The nose was ahead of the palate. As the night wore on the wine began to strut its stuff. We had other bottles on the table so I purposely held over half the bottle to taste again today. So glad I did. After approx. 15 hours of air the wine was really singing. Explosively fragrant nose of lilacs and roses. Secondary savory note with bright acidity and fruit. A classic example of brunello. If you have this wine I don't think I would be in a hurry to drink now unless you can slow-O it for a day or so.

posted Hide Post
Longboarder, we had one last week and thought it had just entered it's drinking window.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I apologize for the off-topic post here, but I am curious. I know many of you lovers of Brunello do not prefer or recommend decanting, yet for a wine such as this one you feel a slow-ox or time in the glass improves the showing of the wine. Can you please differentiate between the two points-of-view. I am appreciating Brunello more and more and would like to share in your knowledge and experience.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1864 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post