WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: Dinner @ Crush (Salon, Chave, Comte Armand)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: Dinner @ Crush (Salon, Chave, Comte Armand)
 Login/Join 
posted
DINNER AT CRUSH WINE BAR - Crush Wine Bar, Toronto, ON (10/19/2012)

• 1996 Salon Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Le Mesnil Sur Oger, Champagne
    Popped and poured, followed over the course of the next couple hours. Medium gold in the glass, still showing some persistent micro bubbles. On the nose, lemon rind, slate, caramelized sugar, florals, brioche, yeast, and with time, showing light coffee grind, mushroom, roasted hazelnuts, honey and fresh grated ginger. On the palate, this is very crisp, with a strong acidic spine, but still showing some creamy richness and excellent depth, with notes of citrus zest, burnt sugar, mineral, with a touch of green apple skins. I was expecting this to be piercingly acidic on the palate, but that was not the case, as this showed tremendous balance, with a round, rich mouthfeel, while maintaining a good level of focus and precision. An exceptional pairing with the oysters. While this was excellent tonight, I would expect this to continue to improve and evolve for the next several years. (95+ pts.)
  • 1989 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    Popped and poured, following over the next couple hours. Deep garnet in the glass, and more transparent than the Clos des Epeneaux served along side it. A touch of brick is present at the rim. Right from the test pour, I knew this was rocking. The nose burst out of the glass with a perfume of red fruits, a touch of blackberry, campfire, black olive brine, crushed rocks, underbrush, fresh cut grass, earth, cured game and with time, developing some exotic spice notes, subtle coffee undertones and a healthy serving of that illustrious ball sweat. On the palate, this was totally seamless, showing some moderate acidity, and some very light silky tannin on the long finish framed with red fruit, mineral, olive, smoke and underbrush notes. In the mouth, this showed extreme elegance, especially next to the more brute and rustic Burgundy. I was absolutely enamoured with this wine, and could not wipe the stupid grin off my face all night. For my tastes, this is good to go now, although, I would expect this to hold on for many years. (98 pts.)
  • 1993 Comte Armand Pommard 1er Cru Clos des Epeneaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard 1er Cru
    Popped and poured, followed for the next couple hours. Deep ruby in the glass, showing some opacity, and nearing the end of the bottle, some almost milky fine grained sediment. On the nose, this was a touch reticent at first, but blossomed as the night went on, revealing scents of deep lush fruit; predominantly red, though there appears to be a smattering of blue and black in the mix; spice, earth, a touch of mushroom, and as it warms in the glass, soy, hoisin, brown sugar, fresh cut strawberries and maraschino cherries. On the palate, this is still quite structured showing moderate tannin and brisk acidity on the long finish. The mouthfeel is rich and rather lush for a Burgundy, showing some heavy concentration. An exceptional wine, but currently seems just a touch clunky and chewy on the palate, with quite a bit of power. If I had any of these, I'd tuck it away for 5-10 years before trying another to let things smooth out a bit more, as I think there is more than ample fruit here. (96+ pts.)

Posts: 1292 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed the '89 Chave only once and it was as you described. Thanks for your note.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was an unreal dinner....
Great notes Andrew as always...
I was 99 on the Chave, 98 on the Comte Armand and 95+ on the Salon....
Food and company were great. This was just such a pleasure Cool

Posts: 1134 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
Food and company were great. This was just such a pleasure Cool

Indeed, I wish we could do this every weekend!

posted Hide Post
Very nice selection of wines.

Posts: 30082 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and a healthy serving of that illustrious ball sweat.

Eek

Very nice wines indeed. Pass on the ball sweat though. Smack

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red guy in a blue state,

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2909 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get too hung up on descriptors...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
...too hung ...

LOL Stop! You're killing me!

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2909 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess the Epeneaux was hanging a little lower than the Hermitage?

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Tasting note inspired by this sketch - click

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red guy in a blue state,

----------