WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Dillman Reisling Trockenbeeren Auslese 2005
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillman Reisling Trockenbeeren Auslese 2005
 Login/Join 
posted
Kind of like apple juice, but instead of artificial sweetness imagine the purest honey and caramel flavors. Amber honey color like that of a mature Sauternes.

92+ Points

Posts: 8511 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was my first TBA and that dark, amber color in a fresh Riesling took me by surprise. Honey, apple and orange on the nose. Quite sweet (except in comparison to the Tokay and Pedro Ximénez that we had along side it Eek), with a strong apple flavor backed by apricots and pineapple from the strong acidic backbone.

I don't know what this will develop into with some time, but I've got to find out some day.

Posts: 2880 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know what this will develop into with some time, but I've got to find out some day.

This reminds me of a visit to Max von Richter in the fall of 2005. He opened up everything he had, including a 2004 Eiswein. I asked him what it would taste like in 30 years and his eyes lit up and he said with a sparkle in his eye -- "lets find out" -- and he hopped up and ran into the cellar and brought out a half bottle from early 1970s (I forget the exact year). He opened it up with a flourish and we proceeded to drink the entire bottle. Needless to say, I bought several of the 2004s to take with me.

I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Posts: 586 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Mar 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've been drinking German wines from some under the radar producers lately. Where have you been getting these?

VM

Posts: 12068 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
You've been drinking German wines from some under the radar producers lately. Where have you been getting these?

VM

This one was courtesy of Sean Trembley at our last offline (thanks, Sean!). I believe that he picked it up on WineBid at a nice price.

Posts: 2880 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vino Me, I have actualy seen this producer at Costco, but SD-Wineaux tells no lies. Sean Tremblay was the person who brought this one. There is a German importer (Truly Fine Wines) here in San Diego and I do get those Pinot Noir/Spatburgunder wines from them.

posted Hide Post
I got this one from costco, but they're long gone.

Who do you have to probe around here to get a chardonnay?

- Roger the Alien from American Dad

Posts: 380 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up a bottle of this today at vwsd on miramar. $27. Worth a try!

Posts: 176 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SanDiegoWino, hopefully it held up. It is weird to see those pop up again. I wonder if someone stocked up at Costco and then sold them to Vintage?

posted Hide Post
How much was it at Costco? I'll probably open it during thanksgiving. Also picked up some 2010 Huet.

Posts: 176 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to say $35 but that was 5 years ago.

posted Hide Post
p.s. It may have been as low as $15/375ml.

posted Hide Post
A little off-topic:

Riesling is pronounced like Reezling,
whereas Reisling would be pronounced like Riceling
Since Riesling is a grape, please dont call it rice, it makes me rofl.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1740 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post