WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Farm House Cafe, San Diego, 11/16/2012
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Farm House Cafe, San Diego, 11/16/2012
 Login/Join 
posted
SAN DIEGO WINESPECTATOR.COM OFFLINE, 11/16/2012 - Farm House Cafe (11/16/2012)

Our dear friend JulieD was in town for the weekend, so four of us had a casual Friday get-together at this excellent cafe. Tasting notes and scores are my own; rankings are by group vote.
  • 2008 Domaine Vincent and Sophie Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Embrazees - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Clear light straw yellow. Notes of musk, white grapefruit, lemon, minerals, light smoky oak. Chablis-like. Tart, crisp, delicious. My #3 and group's THIRD PLACE tonight. (92 pts.)
  • 1994 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Opened and decanted at 6:15 PM, re-bottled at 7:00 PM, tasted at 8:00 PM. Clear light-medium ruby color. Whiff of eucalyptus when first opened. After decanting, this showed garrigue, tapenade, bacon, pleasantly tart red plums and rhubarb. Racer117 commented that this wine was much lighter in color, and more fruit-forward, than another bottle tasted last spring, which he remembered as having a tarry character. Tonight's bottle carries good provenance, so perhaps some bottle variation? (90 pts.)
  • 1995 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Opened and decanted at 6:15 PM, re-bottled at 7:00 PM, tasted at 8:30 PM. Clear dark garnet-ruby color. Marvelous bouquet of creme de cassis, incense, bright cherries, forest floor, unobtrusive oak, and even a welcome note of fresh flowers. Full bodied, seamless, rich and wonderfully balanced. Fully mature but vigorous, can age for many more years. My #1 and group's FIRST PLACE tonight. (94 pts.)
  • 2001 Chateau St. Jean Cabernet Sauvignon Cinq Cépages - USA, California, Sonoma County
    Allowed to breathe in glass for one hour. Clear dark purple-garnet color. Brooding bouquet of creme de cassis, blackberries, charcoal, forest floor. Seems closed and tight. On the palate, this was silky, smooth, full-bodied, may ultimately surpass the 1995 BV Private Reserve also tasted tonight. Needs a few more years. My #2 and group's SECOND PLACE tonight. (92 pts.)

As always, a pleasure to see everyone. Cheers!
Posted from CellarTracker

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need to make you happy." -- Eric Hoffer

Posts: 1117 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Julie D:
Thanks for the notes JavaChip. It was great to see you too, can't wait til next time!
[/QUOTE]

"Everything will be alright in the end, and if it's not alright, it's not the end." Sonny in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Posts: 244 | Location: Hot Springs AR, San Diego, CA | Registered: Jan 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A rather easy night of secretarial duties for Javachip and thanks as always. Another great night with great food and wine and great friends. 2 thumbs up for Farmhouse Cafe.

"One barrel of wine can work more miracles than a church full of saints." - Italian proverb.

Posts: 374 | Location: Carlsbad, CA., USA | Registered: Jul 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We do love and miss Farmhouse, now living on the north end of the county. Smack
Sorry we missed this one, another nice lineup...

Interesting to see your notes on the 94 CdP. Not sure ours back in Arkansas was a barn burner either. Glad the Chateau St. Jean showed well. See ya'll in December? Anyone going to Meritage for the French Freakout next weekend?

Cheers...

Posts: 834 | Location: Carlsbad | Registered: Apr 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would love to attend the next SD offline. Live in Encinitas.

Posts: 9 | Location: North County SD | Registered: Nov 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you guys keep a SD group on these forums or another?

Posts: 9 | Location: North County SD | Registered: Nov 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parrott77,

Don't want to speak for everyone else as I'm a relative newcomer (and not many people listen to me anyways....) but its turned into a short private email list of "The Usual Suspects" vs. a public call to drinking though that has happened and still does. Drop me a line at scottvor yahoo com.

Scott

"One barrel of wine can work more miracles than a church full of saints." - Italian proverb.

Posts: 374 | Location: Carlsbad, CA., USA | Registered: Jul 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Racer117:

...not many people listen to me anyways....

I feel your pain. Smack

Welcome parrott77. Bird lover or Jimmy Buffet fan?

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2879 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
eply

Buffett fan but it's been years since I've seen him live. I've refocused my liver on other hobbies...vino.