WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1995 Leroy Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1995 Leroy Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru
 Login/Join 
posted
Slightly moist under the capsule, 13% alcohol, bottle #00186 with 4016 total bottles. Decanted, bouquet started filling the dining room almost immediately. Translucent raspberry color, slight amount of sediment, started enjoying after two hours. Immediately the wife said "Whoa what is this?" Really a full throttle burgundy, still some tannin, bacon and spice on the nose, mouthcoating fruit, extremely long finish. Yes, it could improve a bit with more aging but it is my birthday and in any event, no wine is sacred in my cellar. This is the kind of burgundy that makes you weak in the knees. Still enjoying the final glass. 98 points

Posts: 1649 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much would a single bottle of this set me back?

Only death is free, and even that costs you your life

Posts: 1905 | Registered: Apr 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmo:
How much would a single bottle of this set me back?

Either both of your pinkies or a kidney, your choice.

$659 on winesearcher

Posts: 1257 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: Oct 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note and glad the wine was special!

While I have had far too many wines from Leroy that disappoint, always indeed special when they work.

I saw a bottle of the '96 St.Vivant in my cellar I should think about.

Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Thanks for the note and glad the wine was special!

While I have had far too many wines from Leroy that disappoint, always indeed special when they work.

I saw a bottle of the '96 St.Vivant in my cellar I should think about.

I have the '96 Mazi, you first. Seriously I wouldn't open either one for 5 years.

Posts: 398 | Registered: Apr 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As good as the 1995's from Leroy are, the 1996's are dream wines. I have a nice stash of Leroy Premeir Cru's and Grand Crus from 1996 and I am starting to nibble.

Posts: 1649 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roentgen Ray pulled a bottle of this wine from his cellar to share last night. I didn't take any notes, but I do recall that it was an elegant wine showing beautiful red fruit, leather, mushrooms, and sturdy acidity. The wine seems to be in its optimal drinking window and should hold for several years.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6128 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds great, gig, as it should have been. That was very generous of RR to open that.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36886 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
That was very generous of RR to open that.

Leroy Clos de Vougeot, very gracious indeed.

I have a couple of '02 sleeping, and have high hopes for in the future.

Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Clos Vougeot is a pretty cool place to visit if you ever get the chance. Big (by burgundy standards) vineyard with a castle in the middle. Of course it's surrounded by a stone wall (making it a clos). Quite picturesque and cool to approach by bicycle. I was there with Birdungy and our wives this summer. IMO it's a pilgrimage worth making if you like the wines.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5566 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:

The Clos Vougeot is a pretty cool place to visit if you ever get the chance. Big (by burgundy standards) vineyard with a castle in the middle. Of course it's surrounded by a stone wall (making it a clos). Quite picturesque. IMO it's a pilgrimage worth making if you like the wines.

I agree. I would also suggest not all the wines made from this Clos are special.

posted Hide Post
Agree on both counts. We've visited in both of the previous two summers, but by car. It's a stunningly beautiful setting. We stay in a nearby hotel. Hopefully we'll return to the area next year.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36886 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post