WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: Chateau La Nerthe CdP 2000
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: Chateau La Nerthe CdP 2000
 Login/Join 
posted
One of four bottles. I will get more.

Decanted for 30 minutes. Good legs on the swirl. Aroma of rasberry, a little baked apple pie and vanilla. Medium body. Taste of black cherry, spice. cocoa and a touch of zin like flavor. Tannins with some bite and staying power and a long polishing finish. Best CdP 2000 I've had. This is built to Age for sure. I will hold till next year on the next one. 93 points

This is a well built CdP from a solid producer in a very good vintage. You'll see these priced all over, but for $24 (what I paid) it is a winner and QPR bingo.

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That wine is going for over $35.00 a bottle here. If I could get it for $24.00 a bottle I'd buy at least a case.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13627 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wineismylife, it was one store (got lucky). I have seen it mostly in the range you see it ($30-$35). I'd still buy more at $30. Not sure about $35. Keep looking. They made a good amount (12k cases I think).

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hunter:

When this wine was first released, it was very tight and I agreed with Parker's 89 point rating. But, as is often the case, some magic occurs as a good wine slumbers.

I'm glad to hear it about this wine. I have a few bottles stashed away...

highdesertwine
http://www.winelinesonline.com

Posts: 1714 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: Nov 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a fantastic wine, one I was able to enjoy just the other night. Firm and racy wine with fantastic body. Left in fridge for three days before revisiting and it was silk. Looking forward to the rest of my bottles and always interested in more.

Posts: 916 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Nov 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Hunter, I've found first rate CnP's best at 10+ years of age. Interesting that you would recommend holding just one more year. I would think five or six would allow the nose to grow even more.

Posts: 46 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Jun 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I said "my next one" to try. My patience is not always my best virtue and I know I will want to try one next year. Big Grin

I mentioned that these were built for aging for sure and they definitely are! Not sure about 10 years. 5 years for perfection would be my guess with this.

posted Hide Post
Revisited this tonight at a cheese tasting party and it has clearly improved with age. After a one hour decant the tanins are still evident and lively, giving way to subtle spice and a pleasant, velvety texture. An elegance that defines the reason I enjoy wine. This was one of the first CdP that I ever purchased, and I still consider it a favorite.

I will revisit this wine again in several years, but am happy to have been introduced to CdP and I have found that Beaurenard and Boisrenard from Coulin, La Nerthe, Pegau and Guigal have continued to keep me coming back to this region.

Posts: 916 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Nov 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. I have one in the queue right now and ready to go. Cool

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13627 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no th in France it is pronounced as in english La Nert. I was at the winery in 2003 and and didn't have the 2000 but I have six 2001 and six 2003. All there wines were showing well at the winery I would think $25 to $30 would be a bargain.

Posts: 9476 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MWG,

Would you like some 2000 La Nerthe? I have 4 Mags that I bought on release and would trade one for a bottle of 2001 and 2003 La Nerthe since you have 6 of each.

VM

Posts: 12321 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1990 La Nerthe was released by our monopoly in early May. I always liked this wine and look very much forward to trying a 17-year-old bottle in the near future. TN forthcoming.

//Anders

-------------------------------
http://nettareegioia.wordpress.com
...e in auree coppe versi, copiosamente, nettare e gioia [Sappho]

Posts: 212 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Dec 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a bottle this past weekend along with a mag of 1998 Grand Tinel, 1999 Beaurenard Cuvee Boisrenard, and 2003 Perrin & Fils Sinards. I didn't take notes, but it was my wine of the night. My only bottle of this and I think it might still be able to improve.

As for the other wines, the Grand Tinel mag showed signs of seepage. Overall the wine was fine. I've never been overally impressed with the Beaurenard, though this might have been the best its showed. The Sinards was nice. I didn't think the fruit was pruney as I've read in other notes. Jammier than most CdPs, but I think it could come together even better in time. I have one more bottle and will likely hold for a year or two to see what develops.

General scores for the wines would probably be -- La Nerthe 92, Beaurenard and Sinards about 88 and the Grand Tinel 84-85.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2795 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post