WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2003 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #9
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2003 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #9
 Login/Join 
posted
2003 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #9 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2/4/2008)

I took a 375ml bottle of this to Creek 28 in Miami Beach with Emilio and our wives. Emilio was able to get corkage waived. We drank this at the end of our meal with dessert although this is not a true dessert wine. BJS is one of Haags top sites. 2003 was the last vintage that the highly respected Wilhelm Haag was in charge of winemaking at the estate. Wilhelm handed the reigns over to his son Oliver in 2004 although he is still involved. This estate has won more Gault Millau awards for their Auslese than any other producer in German since the awards started.

Still had a slight spritz. Clear light straw color. My overall impression was that this wine was just too young and most likely in a dumb phase. Not as much fruit as I would expect. Peach, white stone fruit and guava. There is an underlying purity here though and I look forward to this wine in another 5+ years. 90+ points.

VM

Posts: 12331 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #9 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/29/2012)

From 375ml. Opened next to a Donnhoff GKA which I liked better. This was sweeter but not a dessert wine. Last had this in 2008 and it has a better balance this time around. Solid acidity. Very pure and fresh tasting. Pear and cane sugar notes. Supple finish. 93 points.

VM

Posts: 12331 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post