WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2005 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta - 2008 WOTY
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta - 2008 WOTY
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WineO in Oregon:
Hey all,
Has anyone had the 2001 Clos Apalta recently? How is it tasting? I'm thinking of opening my 3 bottles soon.
Thanks!

WineO: Check out the notes on Cellar Tracker. I had a great bottle last March. It may be time to ope another one soon.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1898 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened my third bottle last weekend, it was a home run big time. I just popped and poured. Very expressive cherry-like Carmenere aroma right from go. The first couple sips reminded me of a $17 Carmenere such as marquis de casa concha. Then it just out and out blossomed quickly. Black licorice, vanilla, cherry, blueberry, and occasional very slight (in a good way actually) faint rubber, loamy.....you name it, this wine had it. There were no greenish or herbal notes often found in Chilean reds.Tannins very present, not overpowering. The momentum did not stop, it continued upward for the duration of drinking, maybe 2 hours total.

All in all, believe it or not, both wife and i thought this was one of our best bottles of red wine ever......sometimes you get lucky.

Posts: 886 | Location: Buffalo , New York | Registered: Jul 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P.S. it was the 2005

Posts: 886 | Location: Buffalo , New York | Registered: Jul 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds great. Clos Apalta has never failed me.

Posts: 6450 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been about a year since the last bottle was opened, so time to try 2 of 6. Dark and warm in the nose yet showing slight twinges of bright notes in the toasty hint of alcohol. Unctuous and mouth-coating with inviting black cherries and berries flowing across the palate that share space with juicy currants while all supported by an earthy toasty backbone and wisps of bitter cocoa. Well built and well crafted as shown in the lingering complex and delicious finish. In excellent balance right now. Open one if you have some and enjoy the rest for another 5-7 at least. I will be curious to see how this shows in it's tenth year. Superb.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1898 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MiamiAtty gave us a bottle of this and we opened it last night to celebrate some recent real estate adventures.

Truly in a great place right now. As noted, no herbal traits that I find so off-putting in many Chilean wines. Best wine from Chile I have ever had. Just took the crown from the Montes Folie from similar vintage.

Posts: 5943 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Best wine from Chile I have ever had. Just took the crown from the Montes Folly from similar vintage.

I have both wines in my cellar. The next time you fly out here to ski we'll open both and do a side-by-side comparison (provided I have not already consumed both of them). Smile

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6100 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
MiamiAtty gave us a bottle of this and we opened it last night to celebrate some recent real estate adventures.

Truly in a great place right now. As noted, no herbal traits that I find so off-putting in many Chilean wines. Best wine from Chile I have ever had. Just took the crown from the Montes Folie from similar vintage.

Hi praise indeed. I've had both and would rate the Folly a little higher but hard to choose between them. Love the Montes Purple Angel as well but you might find it a little meaty for your tastes..... Razz Bang Or the Casa Lapostolle Cuvee Alexandre syrah or Terrunyo syrah at a much more attractive price point

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10665 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed the Folly many times. I thnik I have had the Purple Angel but don't recall the specifics.

Posts: 5943 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post