WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2005 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta - 2008 WOTY
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta - 2008 WOTY
 Login/Join 
posted
Decanted for about an hour and a half.

Dark, translucent ruby-red in the glass. A fabulous nose highlighted by potent raspberry and crushed violet. Classy, yet not-so-subtle flavors of sweet and tart cherry, cassis and plum drive the front end. A silky-smooth transition of mint and chocolate lead to the finish supported by a touch of acidity and tannin, with a decent amount of soft oak. Elegant and classy, yet racy at the same time. I feel fortunate to have tried this at such a young stage.

40+5+5+19+18+8=95

Posts: 3010 | Location: San Luis Obispo, CA | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Danny, seek out the 2001. It is a fantastic bottle of wine to enjoy as the '05 rest. Smile

Thanks for the note of a very worthy wine of the year.

Posts: 30118 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the 2003 last night and with about 1-2 hours of air, it was an excellent wine. Thanks for the TN on the '05.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5000 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info IW.

I think I went from the '01 to the '04. Not sure I have the '03, but will look.

Posts: 30118 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely seek out the '01 and '03.

Posts: 3010 | Location: San Luis Obispo, CA | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Danny, seek out the 2001. It is a fantastic bottle of wine to enjoy as the '05 rest. Smile

Thanks for the note of a very worthy wine of the year.

Ditto on the 2001. I have 6 '05's that will sleep while I enjoy the '01's. I look forward to comparing the two side by side in 4 or 5 years.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1898 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had wanted to pick up an 03 as this is my wedding year, intending to drink it at full maturity for an anniversary in ten years or so. However, the WS tasting note for the 2003 suggests drinking from now through 2012. Has anyone recently had the 2003 and any thoughts on how long an evolution it has based on how it's drinking now?

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1377 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
I had the 2003 last night and with about 1-2 hours of air, it was an excellent wine. Thanks for the TN on the '05.

IW

The '03 gains weight and complexity after 24 hours. I opened one Friday night. Very good wine (93 points) the first night but 95 points the next night. Very glad I have 2 more.

Posts: 2187 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popped and poured. Right out of the bottle, the wine was very expressive. Chocolate covered blueberries, briary, a soupcon of juniper berry, fresh button mushroom touches, big dose of vanilla toasted oak, and the tannins were a little rough with a slight green edge. Lots of acidity. Strangely, the wine clamped down the longer it was open. At hour 2, it has shut down quite a bit, a shadow of what it started out as. If you like big styles, pop and pour or hold. 91-93pts.

Posts: 1201 | Location: SLC,UT | Registered: Jan 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a glass of this last night at an offline.

I think the wine had been decanted for 4+ hours. The nose reminded me of the current style of Right Bank Bordeaux.

An excellent wine that I look forward to trying again in a few years, and easily the red wine of the night.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the wine had been decanted for 4+ hours.

CH said he just opened it about 3 hours before he got there and then decanted it after he arrived which was between 7:00 and 7:30PM so I'm guess it was only in the decanter itself for about 2 hours before we got around to tasting it. fwiw.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13544 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta - Chile, Central Valley, Rapel Valley, Colchagua Valley (12/28/2008)
WIML92-93?

Tasted December 28, 2008 at an offline.

Wine was opened and allowed to "slow-O" for about 3 hours before it was poured into a decanter and allowed to decant for about 2 additional hours. Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of roses, sandlewood, lots of florals with a mixed bag of red fruits. Mostly flavors of red berries and red currants at this early stage of the game. Medium acidity, fairly firm tannins, medium more toward full bodied. Can be drank now with an extended decant but I'd recommend holding myself. Seems to have the stuff to be a fairly long lived wine so no rush here. Might pick up some points with more time in bottle. Drinking around the WIML92-93 point mark for me at the moment. (92 pts.)

Joe
-----

Posts: 13544 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a consensus drinking window on this one, notwithstanding the fact that one could drink it now?

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10671 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Is there a consensus drinking window on this one, notwithstanding the fact that one could drink it now?

My vote... 2010 - 2020.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:

My vote... 2010 - 2020.

I second that...

posted Hide Post
My three bottles: 2013, 2014, 2015. The 2015 bottle shall be opened along with the 2005 Don Melchor and Montes Alpha M. Cool

(Note to self: schedule Chilean offline for 2015)

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6113 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed on 2010-2020. I think I will drink most of them between 2012-2015 (if the 2001 is any indicator at all).

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1898 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
any drinking window opinions on the 2004?

Posts: 2278 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I visited the Clos Apalta winery in the Colchagua Valley recently and tasted the 2006. It's a solid wine as it should be though the release price is climbing each year (now USD70+ per bottle of '06 at the winery) and so I'm not so fond of it's QPR. The winemakers are holding out much hope for the 2007 vintage which they say at this point is showing better than the 2005. That should be one to watch. I purchased 2 bottles of the 2001 and drank one. Very very good wine, incredibly smooth, most of the tannins have subsided, it tasted pretty much at it's peak to me. Worth picking up if the price is right. Also superb winery to visit by the way if you get a chance.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Nov 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta - Chile, Central Valley, Rapel Valley, Colchagua Valley (6/27/2009)
WIML91

Tasted June 27, 2009 at an offline.

Purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of bell pepper, nail polish, plum and currant. Flavors of currants and berries. Medium acidity, firm tannins and medium to full body. Drink over the medium term. If drinking now be sure and decant a bit to blow off the nail polish. I'm thinking this wine is fairly consistent with my previous rating of WIML92 so we'll call it WIML91 for the moment. (91 pts.)

Joe
-----

posted Hide Post
Tasted at a Carmenere and blends tasting.

Colour: deep purple at the center, but at the edge already starting to show browning which was not evident in the 2006 wines that comprised that rest of the night's line up.

On the nose, the fruit was muted, but there was some interesting spice and cedar. Interestingly several people including myself pointed out a solvent component which was rather unpleasant. It did blow off. I see that WIML found "nail polish" in his note above, which may be the same as ours. What I could not get past was the unbalanced alcohol/heat on the nose.

On the palate, this had a smooth, velvety mouthfeel without intrusive tannins. There is great fruit concentration and vibrant acidity. Nice balance. The finish was rather unremarkable and short, though.

I would have given this 88 points maximum. Mainly the nose of this wine was disappointing and I could not get past the alcohol. Was easily outshined by Purple Angel and Vina Chocolan Gran Reserva.

The wine was put through a Vinturi 2 hours before the event and put back into the bottle. I wonder if we would have seen better results with just a straight forward decant for 2-3 hours instead.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1377 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:
Tasted at a Carmenere and blends tasting.

I would have given this 88 points maximum. Mainly the nose of this wine was disappointing and I could not get past the alcohol. Was easily outshined by Purple Angel and Vina Chocolan Gran Reserva.

The wine was put through a Vinturi 2 hours before the event and put back into the bottle. I wonder if we would have seen better results with just a straight forward decant for 2-3 hours instead.

I agree that the nose of this wine is disappointing, but i think that has to do with "where it is". I have 6 bottles left that I intend on leaving alone for at least 3 more years.

Anyway, my real comment was regarding the Vinturi. Whenever I use my Vinturi i don't use it as a substitute for decanting, I use it in addition to decanting. I don't think the Vinturi was designed to replace decanters, I think it was designed to enhance and help expedite the decanting / breathing process.

My two cents anyway.

Posts: 4982 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popped and poured at a restaurant tonight. I thought $80 on the wine list was pretty good. The color was dark purple. No signs of age. The nose was mixed berries. The palate was fresh with nicely integrated acidity. The fruit was a mix of dark berries, nicely ripe, definitely not overripe. There was some chocolate in there too. The tannins were nice and silky. Still, this wine was holding back something. Right now I would give it 92 points, but I wonder if it is in something of a muted phase still. If you have multiple bottles, it would be worthwhile trying it. If you only have one or two, I would continue to hold. Unfortunately, I have none in my cellar, only '02 and '03. I think this '05 is clearly in the same style as it's predecessors, with maybe a tad bit more sleekness and elegance at the expense of a little depth and concentration.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3115 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@ Redhawk
Sorry to go off topic but by chance was this restaurant in the MBS area? My in-laws live in Bay City and I'd love to find a restaurant that would have Clos Apalta on the list.

Thanks

Posts: 301 | Location: 90049 | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey all,

Has anyone had the 2001 Clos Apalta recently? How is it tasting? I'm thinking of opening my 3 bottles soon.

Thanks!

Posts: 253 | Location: West Linn, Or. | Registered: Jan 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post