WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2006 Rene Rostaing - Côte-Rôtie Cuvée Classique (France, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006 Rene Rostaing - Côte-Rôtie Cuvée Classique (France, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie)
 Login/Join 
posted
2006 Rene Rostaing Côte-Rôtie Cuvée Classique - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (12/5/2012)
-- decanted immediately before initial taste --
-- tasted non-blind over approx. 6 hours --

NOSE: a bit tart; weedy; red-fruited; moderately expressive; smells like it’s going to be thin/weak/insipid on the palate; hint of petroleum jelly; light soy sauce smokiness; with air, the fruit turned darker; overall, quite odd for a Cote Rotie.

BODY: garnet-ruby color, with a little bit of bricking creeping in: this does look older than it actually is; color is of medium-light to medium depth; fine particulate matter present; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: acidic; not much tannin; low concentration of fruit; dried herbs on the finish – marjoram, sage, oregano; black tea; weak red fruits; tart; loosely knit; 13% alc. not noticeable; notes of smoke and tar emerge with air (~5 hours), but these notes are not strong; overall, a rather ho-hum wine.

B: 50, 4, 11, 15, 6 = (86 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1864 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. Any chance it was damaged? Maybe just an off-bottle. I love Rene's wines. His 2009s, both red amd white, are stunning.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think it was damaged --- it didn't come across as flawed or damaged; just a weak wine. Most CT notes sound like they're describing the same wine, although there is the usual difference of opinion as to whether it is a good wine or not.

It was sold to me as a "solid Cote Rotie that is drinking well now.", so I kind of knew going in that it might very well be a disappointment (b/c, c'mon, the selling point for a very good 2006 Cote Rotie really shouldn't be "drinking well right now").

Posts: 1864 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2007 last summer and it's still one of the best bottle I had this year...

Sorry to ear that yours did not showed well...

dzitt

Posts: 855 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit off topic here- the 2009 Condrieu La Bonnette from Rene Rostaing is the best white Rhone I've ever had, but only 20 cases will make it into the US.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, Board-O. I'll keep my eyes open for it out here. Smile