WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Sunday Group: Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve vertical
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunday Group: Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve vertical
 Login/Join 
posted
SUNDAY BROWN BAG TASTING: MONDAVI CABERNET RESERVE VERTICAL - Our house (11/11/2012)

This was our first time hosting the Sunday Group. As such, we knew the wines and order, thus these notes are not blind. The old Mondavis had normal bottles so we simply pulled the corks, and for the more recent vintages with the flange, we decanted into substitute bottles. We began pulling corks at 3:30pm, starting with the 1997, working backwards towards the 1987. Bottles were opened and decanted directly into the dummy bottle or left alone, sealed back up with a capped slow pour filter. The caps were opened and the wines poured around 5:30pm. Guesses included right bank Bordeaux, Pauillac, and Napa Cab. For dinner we served boeuf bourguignon. We had nine tasters for scoring. Cost was $50, based on ten.

Warm ups
The Mondavi, due to its unique bottle, was opened and poured into a decanter about 15 minutes before everyone arrived.
  • NV Michel Arnould & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Réserve - France, Champagne, Verzenay, Champagne
    Nonblind before the warm up whites. Apple and citrus notes along with yeast and almond. Medium coarse bead, with blanched almond, baked pear and dough flavors. (88 pts.)
  • 1998 Robert Mondavi Winery Fumé Blanc To-Kalon I Block - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Deep color. Aromas of honey, beeswax, lanolin and citrus with a smoky overtone. Reminds me of Kalin's Semillons. Rich texture, with honeyed citrus flavors and a long finish. Very unique- not something everyone will enjoy. (94 pts.)
  • 2010 Peter Michael Coeur a Coeur - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley
    Pale color. Notes of waxy orchard fruit with a floral undertone. The palate follows the bouquet; acidity is a bit much at this point- give this some time to settle down. (88 pts.)

Themed tasting
Shown in the order of the flight, double blind to the group.
  • 1987 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Deep garnet/crimson color. Notes of violets, saddle leather and rose petals followed by leather, black cherry and currants. Well-balanced, with lad of red fruit, along with tobacco, roasted herbs and cherry. Long finish. 95+ pts.

My #1, Domino's #1
    Group #5, 43 pts (95 pts.)
  • 1990 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Deep crimson color. Cherry and saddle leather notes at first. With ir, dark fruit, leather and barnyard notes- perhaps a touch of brett. Balanced, with nicely integrated tannins, though definitely still some there; mix of red and dark fruit, nice finish. 92-93 pts.

My #4, Domino's #7
    Group #4, 41 pts (92 pts.)
  • 1991 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Deep crimson color. Aromas of tobacco, spice box, lavender and violets. Wonderful balance; seamless. Flavors of leather, red fruit and spice. With more time in the glass, aromas of cedar, red fruit, leather and florals. On the palate, a cedar quality emerges, adding complexity to the other flavors noted before. Long finish. 95+ pts.

My #2, Domino's #6
    Group #1, 28 pts (95 pts.)
  • 1992 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    None of the wines displayed any off qualities during their brief decant, however by the time this was poured it was obvious that it was mildly corked. Still had some fruit showing on the palate though. NR (flawed)
  • 1992 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Of the eight wines in the tasting we had a backup bottle for three, and fortunately the corked bottle was one of the three. Unfortunately though, the backup bottle did not get as much air, and suffered a bit by comparison. Still, everyone tasted from a sound bottle. Florals, red fruit, spice and leather qualities. The palate shows some power; along with flavors of red fruit, plum and currants. Good, but without the complexity of the others in tonight's lineup.

My #7, Domino's #5
    Group #6, 45 pts
  • 1994 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Deep crimson color. Wonderful aromas of red fruit, leather and spice, adding a cedar note as it opened further in the glass. Balanced; red fruit, spice, leather and plum. Has a ripeness to it, as well as some power.

My #6, Domino's #4
    Group #3, 32 pts (90 pts.)
  • 1995 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Light crimson color. Notes of red fruit, violets, leather and spice. Wonderful balance with flavors of red fruit and spice, florals and plum.

My #5, Domino's #2
    Group #2, 29 pts (92 pts.)
  • 1996 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon 30th Anniversary Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Light crimson color. Aromas of red fruit, currants, spice, florals, tobacco and dark fruit. Balanced and well-integrated. Flavors of leather, spice, florals, tobacco and spice box. Shows both power and finesse. Long finish. 94-95 pts.

My #3, Domino's #3
    Group #7, 49 pts (94 pts.)
  • 1997 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Deep crimson color. Vegetal; sour red fruit and beef bouillon aromas. Has some lovely red fruit qualities on the palate, along with beef bouillon.

My #8, Domino's #8
    Group #8, 57 pts (85 pts.)

Nonblind dinner & dessert wines
Served with boeuf bourguignon and individual chocolate soufflés.
  • 1990 Château Cos d'Estournel - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe
    Notes of tobacco, red currants and dark fruit. Balanced, with plenty of fruit on the palate. Has a nice earthy undertone, as well as tobacco and forest floor qualities. Lovely. 93+ pts. (93 pts.)
  • 1995 Château Palmer - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Notes of violets and florals, currants and dark fruit. Perfumed and elegant. Tannins have softened nicely though have a good way to go yet. Dark fruit and floral notes dominate the palate, and forest floor qualities add complexity. Long finish. (94 pts.)
  • 1991 Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Mountain
    Deep color with aromas of cassis, black fruit, leather and spice box. Background notes of florals and mineral. Well-balanced across e palate and through the finish with plenty of fruit offsetting the leather and tobacco notes. Finishes with length and power. Lovely. (93 pts.)
  • 2009 Gérard Bertrand Corbières La Forge - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Corbières
    Bottle 573 of 8964. Inky crimson color. Notes of plum, licorice, kirsch liqueur, and black fruit. Full-bodied with firm, fine-grained tannins and flavors of black fruit, mineral and licorice. Finishes well. (90 pts.)
  • 1986 Château Guiraud - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    From 750ml. Light golden color. Notes of honey, stone fruit-apricot, botrytis spice and orange blossoms honey. Rich texture, with apricot, marmalade, spice and honey flavors. Long finish; good acidity. 93+ pts. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1649 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been a long time since I have had the Mondavi Rsv 1987. Thanks for the updated TN. I loved it back in the day.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5051 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not surprised about the 87 or 91, those are both excellent wines.

I am a little surprised about the 94, I've had it several times and found it to have a smoky power that is very appealing, although it might not be the 87 or 91. I am most surprised about the 97 being vegetal and sour! I've had it and found it lovely, although it's been a while since I've tried it IIRC. Do you think this was an off bottle?

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5568 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
[LIST]
  • 1987 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Deep garnet/crimson color. Notes of violets, saddle leather and rose petals followed by leather, black cherry and currants. Well-balanced, with lad of red fruit, along with tobacco, roasted herbs and cherry. Long finish. 95+ pts.

• It was a coin-flip between this and the '87 Montelena for our 25th anniversary dinner in August. We went with the Montelena, which was beautiful, but the Mondavi will go next year.

Posts: 3608 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    We got the 1986 and 1987 Mondavis from the same place as your Montelena, thelostverse. The cork on the '87 was soaked only half way- I have no reservations going back there for anything I need with some age on it. The '87 should be just fine next year. If you need help with it, you just let us know. Cool

G, this was the second time I've had the '94, and this bottle was not as deep or complex. The first bottle was exactly as you described it- with a "smoky power" and was fantastic. This bottle was better a couple of days later, but still not what that first bottle was. That said, it is still a young wine and I am happy to have another pristine bottle tucked away.

The '87 was lovely. It got three first place votes, so there was another person besides us who loved it. The '92, '96 and '97 were the only ones without a first place vote. Speaking of the '97, I have yet to be impressed by it, and this is now the sixth or seventh time I've had it, and the highest score I have ever given it was 90 back in 2007. To me it has always had a sour, vegetal quality or has been severly lacking in body and depth. I love the Mondavi Reserves, the one exception being that 1997.

Posts: 1649 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    So here's a few notes on some of the leftover bottles we finished up a couple of days later. Essentially, we put a cork in the bottle and tucked them back in the cellar.

1991 Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Mountain (11/13/2012)
    This has improved in the last couple of days. Leather, violets, lavender and cedar aromas along with black and red fruit and plum. The palate follows the bouquet, ending with great length. Balanced and elegant. (94 pts.)

1991 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/13/2012)
    Finishing up the remnants from a couple of days earlier. Aroams of leather, black currants and violets. Cedar, leather and black fruit qualities on the palate. Not as deep or vibrant as a couple of days ago, but still damn fine juice. (93 pts.)

1995 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/13/2012)
    Much better today. Lovely red fruit, blackberry liqueur and roasted herb and tobacco notes. Red fruit, cedar, spice box and tobacco qualities on the palate. Long finish. 93-94 pts. (93 pts.)

1994 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/13/2012)
    Aromas of violets, cedar, black currants, plum and mint. Flavors of ripe red currants, plum, blackberry liqueur and cedar. Finishes well. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker