WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2003 Concha y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2003 Concha y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
Popped the cork on one of these last night and decanted.

I was surprised at how well it was drinking, expecting it to need hours of air before being too enjoyable.

This has so much fresh fruit. Very nice. Very well spent $35. No tasting notes, but I thought I'd comment on the drinking window. DRINKING VERY NICELY! Open now or later.

Hmmmm.... Popped one of these with Festiva shortly after release, and it was like drinking mud. Interesting mud, but thick, closed and a little ponderous. Perhaps time to pull another.

PH

Posts: 15006 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Hmmmm.... Popped one of these with Festiva shortly after release, and it was like drinking mud. Interesting mud, but thick, closed and a little ponderous. Perhaps time to pull another.
[QUOTE]

I have had this wine for the 3rd time 2 weeks ago, and like the previous 2 times, I have not enjoyed it one bit... it is really not my type of wine, but some people around the table seemed to appreciate.

Posts: 989 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd try one of these last night, in part due to Lentini's encouragement that the '03 is to some extent open for business.

We decanted for 3 hours, the nose didn't give much, but with vigorous swirling and another half hour in the glass I got some dark fruit and mint. The wine was smooth and supple, with notes of leather, coffee, and dirt, however not a lot of fruit, beyond a hint of currant. The finish was long and the tannins were ever present, for my taste they were integrated enough to enjoy now but certainly better in the future. 92 pts.

Posts: 1511 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened another one Saturday night. Decanted 4+ hours. This was MUCH better than last bottle we had about a year ago. Nose has some cedar and dark fruits, almost Bordeaux-like. On the palate, chocolate, black fruits, licorice and tobacco. Still very tannic and completely mouth coating. Drinking well but has a long life ahead. I enjoyed this one a lot.

Posts: 256 | Location: N.J. | Registered: Nov 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed there are recent additions to the notes for four other vintages of the Melchor on the first page of the TN board, so I may as well add mine for the 2003 drank on Saturday night.

Huge nose of eucalyptus and cassis, which I just love. Full bodied with black currant and black cherry on a long minty finish. Drinking really well now. I love this stuff, but just wish the price would stop rising. 93 points.

Posts: 10019 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2003 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor - Chile, Central Valley, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto (12/20/2008)
    Ruby red. Nice nose of earth, rhubarb, raspberries, oak and toast. Nice body and texture with a huge amount of integrated tannins and a LONG finish. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

JL

Posts: 1676 | Location: Montréal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geez Vinaigre, you really knocked off some heavy hitters on December 20th, eh?! Eek I'm afraid to ask what you drank on Christmas, or what you plan to open on New Year's Eve! Big Grin

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10639 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys inspired me to open my first bottle of this.

Beautiful wine. Full-bodied but not overbearing at all. Dark purple. Cassis, blackberry, black pepper, mesquite smoke, weak tea on the finish.

Still seems too young though, or at least I can't help thinking that this will improve and not peak for at least another year or two.

92 points.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10639 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2003 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor - Chile, Central Valley, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto (3/6/2009)
    Dark colour with a nice floral nose, scents of sweet fruit(cassis, and some blackberry), methol/camphor and mint and hints of coffee all well interwoven. The palate is linear, well defined if not a little muted with blackberry, cedar and cassis flavours. The finish is medium length with some sediment thrown in the glass. I believe it may be in a dumb phase as even though it was structured, it was not a wow wine at this stage. It got better over the next 2 hours in my glass so a decant may have been the required the course of action. 91-92 for now. Keep cellaring. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6566 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This will never be a "WOW" wine at any stage.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Sep 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Blind Drunks Monthly Tasting - Joe's (11/22/2009)

• 2003 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor (Private Reserve) - Chile, Central Valley, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto
    Garnet color. Strong note of cat urine, along with grapefruit, tar and loam qualities. Full-bodied, with very nice balance on the palate. Flavors of tar, dark fruit and herbs with a medium+ length finish. One of tasters nailed this wine double blind.

This was decanted for three hours, then allowed to breathe in bottle for another four+. Now in the awkward stage, showing the urine & sour qualities, though the palate maintains good balance and fruit. This will be outstanding in time. Check back in around 2014/2015.

Posts: 1572 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Just opened one from my collection. I expected more from a 96pt wine. I found this wine full of cassis with some loamy and mushroomy notes. Nice acidity and soft tannins. However the finish was short if not nonexistent. It is a muscular wine with big flavor but I expected a much better finish to this wine. I can see the flavor profile changing and becoming more interesting over time (the wine is a bit one dimensional right now) but that short finish is a big turn off.

Posts: 296 | Location: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Mar 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I pulled a Chilean wine out to salute the miners escape... I thought I had a 2005 Don Melchor, but it was a 2003. That might mean my previous note applied to the 2005. OOOPS! Maybe that's why my note seemed so off from others'. *shrug*

Anyhow, popped and poured this 2003 (this was definitely a 2003) seemed to be just entering its drinking window... Didn't need air to show well. I think you've really got to give Don Melchors time (based on drabbing so many), and maybe this was just enough for the 2003.

While it was a big delicious wine, I definitely didn't see 96pts worth of wine. 92+ maybe. More time might bring it up, but I haven't had them much older.

Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    light black berry nose backed with some raw grapefruit and ammonia on the nose.

Clean pure black berry fruit with berrys, dried sage and tar, silky tannins and a medium body that finishing with a strong bitter rooty licorice.

I'm not a particular fan as that ammonia on the nose and the bitterness of the finish turns me off, but it does have very good balance.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
    www.wsqwine.com
    (Wine distributor)

Posts: 11828 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    No polished edge leading to a lingering finish?????

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Board-O:
    No polished edge leading to a lingering finish?????

i drank it before, during and after dinner.

That bitterness really gets me. Like if you ever tasted raw ginseng. nasty stuff.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
    www.wsqwine.com
    (Wine distributor)

Posts: 11828 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Had this the other night. Third bottle I've had out of a 6 pack and it's in a good place right now and finally hitting it's stride. Currant, berries, mocha, tobacco and leather. Tannins still have some grip but not overpowering. The minty menthol taste it had when younger is gone. Still room for improvement but it's at least entering it's prime drinking window I'd say. Revisit in 6 months to a year. I'd give it a 92+.

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Had this last night. Decanted for one and a half hours. Dark purple color. Nose was an interesting minty tobacco with mushroom notes. Palate had some dark fruit but not over the top. I thought this was well balanced. Medium to full bodied. Tannins were firm but not over powering. Still have 8 sleeping. very enjoyable

Posts: 292 | Location: Sugar Grove, IL | Registered: Nov 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I opened one last week and took no notes. I remember thinking it was just about ready. From the bottle I had, I think there will be little or no improvement, but it should hold for quite a while.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Just had another last week. I'm on board with BO's impressions. Took no notes. Very enjoyable but really not much different than last time I had it a year ago, other than smoother tannins. Flavor profile seemed the same.

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Ok boys…. so other than the 2003 Don Melchor being ready to drink and unchanged from the last time…. how did it taste? Wink Have had one standing for a couple of weeks.

PH

Posts: 15006 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Icewino:
    Had this the other night. Third bottle I've had out of a 6 pack and it's in a good place right now and finally hitting it's stride. Currant, berries, mocha, tobacco and leather. Tannins still have some grip but not overpowering. The minty menthol taste it had when younger is gone. Still room for improvement but it's at least entering it's prime drinking window I'd say. Revisit in 6 months to a year. I'd give it a 92+.

Tasted good. Big Grin But if I remember right more like this but with slightly less tannins and blackberry. Not much change in the last year or so I'd say.