WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2003 Concha y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2003 Concha y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon
 Login/Join 
posted
2003 Concha y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon - Puente Alto, Chile
Decanted 2 hr’s. Good nose of dark currants with some cherry at the core and hints of tar that follow through nicely on the palate with additional notes of leather and mocha along with a persistent mineral quality and a mint flavor component. Light acidity on the consistent palate with fine, solid tannins, reasonable depth and a polished edge all leading to a lingering finish. Terrific Cabernet value that continued to open up after 2+ hr’s decant time. S93 8/5/2006

Posts: 5253 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Green. How much is the '03 going for down there? The price has definitely crept up over the past few vintages from $30 to $40+, but I agree that it's still a good value.

Posts: 10186 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the list price has held pretty tight around $42-$45. Retailers seem to be discounting it less these days due to it’s ‘01 scores. It retails for $45, but before the leak on the WS score came out last week, you could get it at discount stores/on-line for $35. A lot of Costco’s apparently have it for $35.

Posts: 5253 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked it a lot, enough to get me to buy 2 six pack cases @ $33.95 per.

Posts: 253 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drazi -

Any brambly, weedy notes? Last I had the 01 and it was a bit on coarse side.

TripDaddy Smile Smile Smile

Posts: 165 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TripD,
This was a smoother (tannins), less vegetable version of the ‘01. It did not have nearly the amount of iodine, eucalyptus or mint notes (I’ve heard many different words for the same thing) that I recall from the ‘01. But then again, I let it decant a full 2 hours before doing any tasting.

Although I scored them the same, IMHO, I think the ‘03 is a little bit better.

ps. Thanks for bringing the Integrity the other night - awesome wine!

posted Hide Post
I drank one (2003) without the benefit of decanting, and the tannins seemed a little too harsh for my palate, and the wine just a little off in general. I think decanting would have made a big difference. I'm a little too accustomed to California cabs that are ready to go as soon as you pull the cork. Didn't have time to decant it, and I paid the price. Don't reinvent my wheel. Let it breathe like Green did.

-----------------------

www.VinoCritic.Com

Posts: 999 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Mar 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Senior Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
At $34, that is one heck of a wine...

Yes, this wine typically needs air. Especially the '01 right now (the '00 less so)...If you get the '03, try to sit on it for 6 months to let it settle in...

--JM

Posts: 1234 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Oct 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James,
Can you tell us how your review of this wine appears to have been published to retailers before it’s available to WS “Advance”, WS “Insider” nor the print issue subscribers?

Here’s the full review at a retailers site
http://www.klwines.com/product.asp?sku=1023907

The notes have the folowing line: "With a great nose of currant confiture and cocao powder, ..."

It was my understanding that subscribers to WS “Advance” and WS “Insider” get this information at the same time the retailers do.

Senior Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
GD:

That is my understanding as well - that the wines on the "Advance" are available to the website subscribers at the same time the retailers get their copy (that is where this wine review came from, they quoted it correctly). I am looking into why there has been a lag in this case...

--JM

Posts: 1234 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Oct 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it a "leak" or a "lag?"

Posts: 6117 | Location: Cloud 9 | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Senior Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
It's a lag. Retailers get the advance via hard copy in the mail, and then it should go up on our website basically right thereafter. The theory is that consumers who subscribe to the website get the bonus of knowing what the highlighted wines in the Buying Guide are, while retailers can get the wines in stock and 'be ready', so to speak, for their customers...

In this case, there's been a hangup with the advance being posted on the site. It's being looked into (this is not my department, but I take claims of 'score leaks' very seriously)...

The store in question is quoting the score and review correctly, so no problem there. And in fact, their price is well below the SRP we were quoted by the winery, so no problem there either...

--JM

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it a "leak" or a "lag?"

Good question

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Molesworth:
It's a lag. Retailers get the advance via hard copy in the mail, and then it should go up on our website basically right thereafter. The theory is that consumers who subscribe to the website get the bonus of knowing what the highlighted wines in the Buying Guide are, while retailers can get the wines in stock and 'be ready', so to speak, for their customers...

In this case, there's been a hangup with the advance being posted on the site. It's being looked into (this is not my department, but I take claims of 'score leaks' very seriously)...

The store in question is quoting the score and review correctly, so no problem there. And in fact, their price is well below the SRP we were quoted by the winery, so no problem there either...
Well, it did go up $5 per after they got the score. Wink

As you said, this is not your department, but thanks for letting us know. It was my understanding that retailers and consumers who subscribe to Advance/Insider got the electronic first and at the same time.

posted Hide Post
K & L has plenty and is selling it at $34.99. For now. If it's in the same league or better than the 2001, this is an excellent QPR.

PH

Posts: 15294 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought my 5 bottles...waiting to buy 5 cases IF...

Posts: 6117 | Location: Cloud 9 | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PH,
I can't get K&L to ship to Dixie.

BD,
What are you going to do with 5 cases?

posted Hide Post
Greendrazi,
Might not get 5 cases...maybe 2 for myself

PM me on WD if you would like some.

There is a strong possibility that I will be able to get this for 34.99 minus 15%.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDrazi:
PH,
I can't get K&L to ship to Dixie.

If a "double ship" doesn't put it out of range pricewise, have 'em ship to me. I'll be glad to re-ship them to you.

PH

Posts: 15294 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
Greendrazi,
Might not get 5 cases...maybe 2 for myself

PM me on WD if you would like some.

There is a strong possibility that I will be able to get this for 34.99 minus 15%.

Well if that is the case I want one case, wood box and all. PM me.

pissing people off since 1971!

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

Posts: 3475 | Location: oklahoma city, usa | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it's cheaper to ship to Texas --> Georgia than all that way from Maryland --> Georgia Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

PH,
Did you git some of dis?

posted Hide Post
6 pack. How could I pass? Wink

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seanr7:
Well if that is the case I want one case, wood box and all. PM me.
When did you get off of wine probation? Big Grin

For all of you putting cases of orders in through me Roll Eyes I can only store this in my living room. My cellar is too small to hold multiple cases of this stuff. Although a little birdies cellar down the street might have enough room

posted Hide Post
I will be 45 minutes north of Arlington the 17th-19th.

pissing people off since 1971!

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

Posts: 3475 | Location: oklahoma city, usa | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
If a "double ship" doesn't put it out of range pricewise, have 'em ship to me. I'll be glad to re-ship them to you.

PH
PH,
Thanks for the offer, but the double ship price will cost me as much as I can get them locally.