WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    RedHawk Visits South Florida
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RedHawk Visits South Florida
 Login/Join 
posted
As Redhawk was visiting South Florida for a conference, some of the Sout Florida crew got together at our house last night - FKG and I, Redhawk, Redknife, Miami Atty and spouses. Great to see everyone who could make it. Here are the wines - with my brief comments. As neither Vinole or Emilio were in attendance, I got stuck with keeping track Crazy

Nicholas Feuillate NV Brut - Consistent nonvintage champagne. Gold color, decent bead and yeast. Looking forward to drinking lots of this on our Seabourne cruise next month.

2008 Avanthia Goldello - Never had this wine or this grape. White wine from Galicia. Very modern in style, pear and melon with some minerality. Definitely some toast and oak. Great finish. Really impressed by this wine.

2006 Penninsula Gewurz Manigold Vineyard - From Michigan. Very nice nose, with some honeysuckle. Tart on the palate, and little flat. Best wine I have had from Michigan (and the only one).

2001 Fuligni Brunello - Definitely on the traditional side. Red fruit predominate more than dark. Excellent and lengthy finish. Good balance and I really enjoyed this and amm happy we have 2 more.

1997 Pio Cesare Barolo corked - big time bummer

2004 Pegau - Beautiful showing. Lots of funk and barnyard, deep red fruit. Good finish and concentration. Most people's RWOTN I believe.

2005 Domaine de la Vielle Julienne CDP - I was frankly a little disappointed in this especially suffered compared to the Pegau. Very modern styled, big fruit, lots of oak for a CDP. Perhaps needs more time. I think this may have been overrated by the critics.

2004 Kosta Browne Amber Ridge Pinot - Never my favorite vineyard for KB. Good concentration, sour cherry predominated. Better finish after decanting but I am not sure if these wines were meant to go even 8 years.

2001 Clos Apalta - Big, chewy and delicious. Very enjoyable.

and because Redhawk had never had a Stefania, the excessive and totally unnecessary

2008 Stefania Eaglepoint Ranch Syrah - All I can say is that it tasted good and like a Stefania Syrah. Beyond that, I don't remember anything. Redhawk took the remainder to his hotel so maybe he can elaborate.

Posts: 6030 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
2008 Avanthia Goldello - Never had this wine or this grape. White wine from Galicia. Very modern in style, pear and melon with some minerality. Definitely some toast and oak. Great finish. Really impressed by this wine.

Just recently had the '09 version of this wine. I had never had a Godello before either, but it will not be my last. Also excellent an value in the $20-25 range.

Posts: 3602 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was great. Far meatier than other whites from Galicia I have had. big thanks to Redknife for bringing it. Won't be the last time for me either.

Posts: 6030 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spectacular meals are (partly) what FKG is famous for, and this one didn't disappoint. First class all the way.

I loved the diversity of both whites we tasted, and they were a nice surprise.

I tend to favor Brunellos on the traditional side, so I enjoyed the Fuligni in the mix.

The Pegau was (for me) the all around winner. Nose, finish, and everything in between hit on all cylinders. I would've enjoyed the Domaine de la Vielle Julienne much more on its own, but with the Pegau in my second glass, it just didn't have the muscle and style of its counter part.

The Apalta was showing nicely after 11 years, and was chewy and juicy with a complimentary tannic backbone.

I also agree with Jcocktosten on the KB and the '97 Pio Cesare. Luckily, I saw a couple more bottles in my cellar so we'll have to try again.

Lastly, it was a pleasure meeting Redhawk. Down to earth, funny, intelligent, and was a welcome addition to our fantastic group.

PS Thanx to Jcocktosten for those notes, and to FKG for....just being FKG! Wink

Posts: 1661 | Location: Miami, Fl | Registered: Dec 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great night and sorry I had to miss it, especially since JC was doing notetaker duty. Just a couple of weeks till the next one! Reminded me that I need to get some 04 Pegau.

Posts: 3095 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tasted my first Avanthia Godello a month ago. It will not be my last. Impressive.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36987 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiAtty:
Spectacular meals are (partly) what FKG is famous for, and this one didn't disappoint. First class all the way.

BIG +1 Winner

Lastly, it was a pleasure meeting Redhawk. Down to earth, funny, intelligent, and was a welcome addition to our fantastic group.

I have no idea who you are talking about. Just because the dog didn't attack me...

Actually, the pleasure was all mine. You have a great group. Thanks for the hospitality

PS Thanx to Jcocktosten for those notes, and to FKG for....just being FKG! Wink

Another +1 Big Grin

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3180 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not take formal notes, but FWIW, here are my impressions of the wines.

Nicholas Feuillate NV Brut - I have had this before, and it is consistently pleasant. A nice balance of toastiness and raciness.

2008 Avanthia Goldello - I also enjoyed this wine. There was noticeable oak, so if you don't like that in a white, you might want to look elsewhere. But I thought the fruit played well with the vanilla, and there was nice weightiness. Very reminiscent to me of a higher end California Chard.

2006 Penninsula Cellars Gewurz Old Mission Peninsula Manigold Vineyard - I may be a homer, but I liked this wine very much. The nose was beautifully expressive with a fruity-floral character, and I thought it paired exceptionally well with FKG's awesome meal--especially the fish.

2001 Fuligni Brunello - This, to me, took a while to come around. The fruit started out tasting a little stewed at first, but after about an hour, the flavors opened up, and the fruit no longer tasted overripe, but very nicely integrated. I very much enjoyed this wine. Nice complexity, and should get even better with age.

1997 Pio Cesare Barolo-- VERY corked Frown

2004 Domaine Pegau Cuvee Reservee-- Definitely singing, and my WOTN without question. Loads of perfect fruit, interlaced with lavender and earth (dare i use the word "garrigue"?). All with deceptive weight carried weightlessly, which makes no sense but I think you can figure out what I mean. And the best part was the nose. I could just smell this one all night and be happy.

2005 Domaine de la Vielle Julienne CDP - Definitely closed. This just needs time. There's a lot hiding there, but mostly showing right now was brooding dark fruit, tar, and tannins. Hold this to age 14 or 15, and it will be very nice.

2004 Kosta Browne Amber Ridge Pinot - My first Kosta Browne, and I will admit that I quite enjoyed it. It was smoothly polished with soft fruits and soft, inconspicuous tannins, but had a nice fatness to it.

2001 Clos Apalta - I have yet to be disappointed with a bottle of Clos Apalta. Although it rarely is WOTN for me in a big grouping like this, it always finishes near the top. This was no exception.

2008 Stefania Eaglepoint Ranch Syrah - My first exposure to a Stephania--Thankyou Jcocktosten. Nice dark fruits with a deceptive vein of acidity hidden behind a little earth and tar, and very distinctly Californian. It wasn't overly heavy, definitely not hot. Nice balance and finish. The leftovers were just as good tonight, even out of a hotel tumbler! I enjoyed it very much.

And I must say the food and the company were excellent. Thank you all for allowing me to be a part of the group.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3180 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The leftover (half a glass if that split between FKG and I) Fuligni was singing last night. Increased depth, amazing finish. Will not touch the next one for a year or 2 (or more)