WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1997 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1997 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino
 Login/Join 
posted
Hey, VM! Thanks for bringing this by the other night! What a treat! A full-throttle, rounded, spicy/oaky classic. Just goes on and on... HI=94

"But, if ye wish her grateful prayer,
Gie her a haggis!" -Robert Burns

Posts: 1662 | Location: Traded Paradise for the frozen Finger Lakes | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thx for the notes Haggis, how long do you think this wine will be at its prime? Or do you think it will still improve?
I have 2 bottles but they are at my offsite storage so I won't be able to get em now.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps VM will weigh in here...I don't know if he decanted it or not. But, judging from the other night, I'd not hesitate to drink one now and keep one for another 3-5yr.

"But, if ye wish her grateful prayer,
Gie her a haggis!" -Robert Burns

Posts: 1662 | Location: Traded Paradise for the frozen Finger Lakes | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VM's note, preceeded by a earlier tasting note by an absolute bumbling rookie can be found here! Big Grin

PH

Posts: 15128 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posted from CellarTracker

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6599 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 1997 Fattoria di Sant'Angelo (Lisini) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (9/12/2009)
    Wino Guys Weekend (WGW) #3; 9/11/2009-9/12/2009: Not decanted. Poured into shoulder and slow ox'd for four hours. On opening, huge, brooding, intense, and intoxicating aromas of sottobosco, baking spices, and aniseed burst from the bottle. With air, hints of truffle, leather, and frutto di bosco emerged. Full-bodied, the wine has a gorgeous texture and shows replays of sottobosco, truffle and baking spice replays as well as some dried cherry notes. A hint of smokiness and slight alcoholic warmth on the very long, ~50s finish. Absolutely stunning but it is clearly still a very young wine. This wine has a very long life ahead of it. I will hold my remaining bottles for at least another five years and drink before 2020. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 10895 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. I've got mine penciled in for 2013. Wink

Posts: 745 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasted as part of our local wine club's Bdm tasting featuring over a dozen bottles spanning the years from '97 to '07.

This wine took top honors as WOTN, even eclipsing the '06 Casanova di Neri Tenuta Nuova.

Garnet color, with an inviting floral nose, the fruit still retains some youthfulness. Refined cherries and cola in perfect balance with mellow tannins and a perfect chord of acidity. As compared to a couple other '97's, the Lisini had significantly more viscosity that pulled it all together and gave it a little more weight. I would agree with baking spices and leather notes from above notes but subtle and layered. Completely balanced.

97 points.

Ardeis in Seminole

Posts: 429 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ardeis, thanks for the TN.
Sounds like an excellent showing of this wine. I have only 1 bottle and intend to keep it in the cellar for some time to come. Your note doesn't make it easier to keep my hands of it Big Grin

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have 3. Standing one up. Longboarder, let me know if you're headed north any time soon. I'm thinking a Lisini dinner is in order..... Cool

PH

Posts: 15128 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Have 3. Standing one up. Longboarder, let me know if you're headed north any time soon. I'm thinking a Lisini dinner is in order..... Cool

PH

I should be in your neck of the woods after turkey day. Will send you an email soon.

Posts: 2188 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post