WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2009 Las Rocas Garnacha
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2009 Las Rocas Garnacha
 Login/Join 
posted
This is usually a very pleasing big fruity red. Today was no different. $11 OTD. High QPR juice.

It is a fruit-forward, rich jammy red w/ dark cherries, currants, cranberries, maybe some anise, maybe a touch of leather and tobacco. Very full heavy body; much more Earthy than sweet, w/ little tannin.

Was a very nice choice w/ oven-baked/roasted/braised bbq pork chops.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
~ I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin'.

Posts: 1553 | Registered: Apr 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I concur Maverick. Impressive QPR.

"One barrel of wine can work more miracles than a church full of saints." - Italian proverb.

Posts: 374 | Location: Carlsbad, CA., USA | Registered: Jul 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is this Tn for the regular bottling or the old vines- "vielles vignes"?

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1549 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the VV myself. A consistent QPR right up there with Tres Picos, Volver, & Can Blau.
And I'll add Atteca Old Vines as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Primordialsoup,

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My original TN was for the regular juice.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
~ I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin'.

Posts: 1553 | Registered: Apr 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Viñas viejas is one of my favorite qpr

Posts: 2259 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the 2010 Volner Tempranillo at a tasting yesterday and at $10.80 a bottle wholesale was crazy good Qpr. Solid easy 90 pt wine.

Posts: 9404 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the 2010 Volver is as good as or better than the 2009 (and I hear it is) then I am in for a case, and at that price maybe two. I hope you bought some mwg.
Tripped over those guys in a search. Lots of video critics popping up all over the place these days.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great stuff, love it - in the same yummy category as the Ganache del fuego and Juan Gill

Posts: 228 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post