WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2011 Belle Glos "Clark and Telephone" PN
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2011 Belle Glos "Clark and Telephone" PN
 Login/Join 
posted
2011 Belle Glos "Clark and Telephone" Pinot Noir

Dark ruby color. Raw fruit juice and phenols on nose. Big, expansive semi-sweet raspberries and black cherries. Some sassafras. The finish is slightly sour with notes of green stems and onion skin. Very faint tannins giving it a somewhat overextracted lushness.

Not nearly as balanced and smooth as the 2008 and lacking the dense sweetness of the 2010's fruit.

89 points but might improve as it integrates provided the green finish doesn't become more prominent.

Ardeis in Seminole

Posts: 418 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the 2008 is the best Belle Glos PN they ever made. Have you had one recently? I think I have one in my cellar here and another in Florida. After I tasted the 2008 last year, I called all the wine stores in the area and all they had were the 2009s, also good but not up to the 2008.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed Board-O, I liked the '08 C&T better than the '09s. These wines are not for everyone, sweet ripe fruit with new oak, definitely a crowd pleaser.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 612 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely agree.

My Belle Glos experience leads to same ranking:

'08>'10>'09>'11

I still have some 08's left...both Las Alturas and the C&T. Honestly the Las Alturas which was a bit harsh on release has eclipsed the C&T though both are in a very good drinking window right now.

Posts: 418 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i had the chance to try an 05' out of mag at Pinot Days in LA a few weeks ago and it was drinking very well... it hadn't developed any added complexity but was much more palatable and enjoyable then many younger examples of the wine i had tried.

Posts: 4188 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around my neck of the woods, there seems to be a huge price fluctuation with these Belle Glos Pinots. I've seen both the C&T and the Las Alturas priced anywhere from $26 to $60 per 750ml. Strange...

Posts: 1285 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ardeis:

Raw fruit juice and ....notes of green stems and onion skin....89 points

Man, 89 points sounds generous.

PH

Posts: 14644 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have only had a handful of 2011 California wines so far, and none has impressed me. that included a nearly undrinkable bottle of Belle Glos' Meiomi, which typically is varietally-correct Cali pinot that's a no-brainer at under $25. i am *seriously* underwhelmed by the vintage so far.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

Raw fruit juice and ....notes of green stems and onion skin....89 points

Man, 89 points sounds generous.

PH

Ha... and dump this 89 into the CT scoring system. LOL

Let me take a wild guess... the wine is rated anywhere from 88-92 points in CT. Spit

Posts: 29545 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Let me take a wild guess... the wine is rated anywhere from 88-92 points in CT. Spit

Good guess. 86-93 so far....

PH

Posts: 14644 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the 2010 Las Alturas to be much tighter and harsher than the 2010 C&T. Interesting you thought the same thing with the 08. Has anyone else experienced this, and does the Las Alturas eventually smooth out to match the tasty early release C&T?

quote:

I still have some 08's left...both Las Alturas and the C&T. Honestly the Las Alturas which was a bit harsh on release has eclipsed the C&T though both are in a very good drinking window right now.

Posts: 135 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post