WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: Two Hands Ares 2007
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: Two Hands Ares 2007
 Login/Join 
posted
Committed vinfanticide this past weekend on this bottle. I'm not usually a fan of Aussie Shiraz, but this was really good. The nose started off with a bit of heat, dark berries, and an almost overwhelming smell of lumber yard and Vicks Vaporub...in a nice way. Later this settled out to reveal more subtle aromas of cherries, orange peel/marmalade, coffee, chocolate and vanilla. On the palate it's a huge monster of a wine but the rich concentrated fruit is balanced off nicely with acidity and tannin, more gracefully than I would have expected in a wine with 16% alcohol! Even in its youth, there are no hard angles on this wine. The wine sails on into the distance with a lingering creamy, chocolatey finish. Really nice on night 1 with only a splash decant, night two was rounder and more complex on the nose, and finally last night the last dregs were still singing.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1352 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice TN! Any estimate on how when this may hit its prime?

Posts: 644 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fusionstorm:
Nice TN! Any estimate on how when this may hit its prime?

My experience with aged Aussie Shirazes is essentially nil. I've only ever had the pleasure of enjoying them at a young stage. All I can say is there is nothing to stop one from cracking a 2007 and thoroughly enjoying it. I have two bottles of 2008 which I will let rest for a while longer.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1352 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post