WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2003 Ch. Lascombes, Margaux
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2003 Ch. Lascombes, Margaux
 Login/Join 
posted
Open 8 hours before serving. Deep ruby color. Explosive cherry and rasberry syrup, flowers, and cotton balls (imagine a soft pillow). On the mouth, it is a completely different wine. Only tiny "impression" of sweet fruits. More of tobacco, hazelnut, and milk chocolate. Not the ultra ripe character that many '03 wine inhibit, no syrupy, no jammy body, but just a silky body and soft refined tannin on a long finish. The '02 was bigger, denser, more fruit forward, and more agressive tannin. Lascombes is full of surprise... 93 points.

DP Wink

Posts: 547 | Location: OH | Registered: Jan 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The '02 was a great wine. Can't wait to pop this one.

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popped and double decanted. Dark, dark purple color. Nose was fairly closed, initially. Lots of dusty, loamy soil and lead pencil. Then it turned into black cherry, cassis, coffee bean and cocoa. Wonderful mouthfeel. Balanced, medium bodied, low acidity, round tannins and a black cherry finish. B+/A-

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Château Lascombes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (1/16/2013)

Opened by Longboarder. 2nd time I have had this wine and it is showing better now than when I first had it on release. This is an estate which has been improving it's overall quality over the last 10-15 years. Seems like every new vintage I try is better than the last. This wine is better than the 2001 but not as good as the 2005 or 2009. Deep crimson color. Smooth with an earthy texture. Tobacco, cassis, pencil lead and red berry notes with licorice on the finish. 92-93 points.

VM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vino Me,

Posts: 12166 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found this very enjoyable- not as serious or stern as the last few that I had, including one over Christmas that was completely shut down. Cigar box and ripe dark berries. I didn't get the immediate sensation of coffee out of it as I have out of some past ones. Very nice wine. 93pts

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5557 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A sleek and stylish Bordeaux. Showing a lot of high tone notes right now. The bass notes will fill out later. Some slick winemaking here! 91P

Posts: 3418 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still a bit austere, lacking Margaux flamboyance. Hold. 90+

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36743 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post