WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 1999 Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 1999 Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino
 Login/Join 
posted
Upon opening, the aromatics are somewhat muted. In short, after smelling, I wasn’t optimistic, and I was afraid it was shut down. Upon entry into the mouth, the wine showed bright Bing cherry notes and hints of mint. Then, for a moment, they give way to an earthier element of sottobosco and tar before ending up with a beautiful hint of dried fruits, in particular dried cherry and perhaps a little dried fig. The spectrum of flavors in this wine is nothing short of remarkable. The presence of such a wide array of fruit flavors, from bright and ethereal to dried is a testament not only to the vintage but also the winemaker’s judicious hand. This wine has great structure with ideal levels of acidity and tannin that ensure it will age effortlessly for years, and yet, this wine is remarkably accessible and enjoyable now. At this young age, its balance is exceptional. This is one of the greatest Brunellos I’ve ever tasted. 96-97 points, with the chance of perhaps gaining an additional point with further maturation.

Posts: 670 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes. I have a 1999 Fanti ready for tomorrow night. I hope it's as good.

-Brettay

Posts: 743 | Location: Novato, CA | Registered: Dec 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fanti??

What is, maybe an exotic Super Tuscan?? Wink Big Grin

..it's a black fly in your Chardonnay, isn't it ironic.. don't you think?

Posts: 417 | Location: Enotria | Registered: Nov 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuligni is simply outstanding. I'm looking forward to stocking more '99s in my cellar since I don't think the three I brought back from Italy is enough. Smile

Posts: 10677 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the 1999 Fanti a few weeks ago. It's very new wave and has little Brunello or even Sangiovese character. Definently not my style.

Futronic, have you tried the 1990 Fuligni. Or if anyone else has I'd be interested to hear your impressions of it.

Posts: 670 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I have not had the '90 Fuligni, but I'm sure it would be drinking quite nicely right now.

Posts: 10677 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Futron, mahn, have you tried the '97 Fuligni? Seems to be the subject of opposing opinions, at least from the professional reviewers, so I'm a bit curious.

cheers,
rico

Posts: 180 | Location: Mount Nebbiolo, CO | Registered: Oct 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
limestoned,

What's the exact controversy? I haven't been following it. All I know is that I find it to be typical of his wines. Elegant and refined, it's definitely something special. If I had any of this (I got shut out of the normale here, but did get some Riserva), I would still be holding on to it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Fuligni is simply outstanding. I'm looking forward to stocking more '99s in my cellar since I don't think the three I brought back from Italy is enough. Smile
I can't wait for our tour... I think I'll bring back 6 bottles!!!

Posts: 4865 | Location: North Plainfield, NJ | Registered: Oct 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mwagner,

You might not be able to buy any at the winery by the time you get there. Roberto's wine has been selling like hotcakes (naturally), and when I asked for 4 '99 Brunello and 2 '02 Rosso, he said that he could only give me 3 Brunello.

His Riserva might be available by then, however.

posted Hide Post
How would you compare the riserva w/ the regular bottling?

Posts: 4865 | Location: North Plainfield, NJ | Registered: Oct 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't tasted the '99 normale, but I tasted the final blend of the '99 Riserva, just prior to bottling. It was excellent. Roberto said he prefers his normale to the Riserva, however.

Ultimately, the Riserva is going to be more expensive, but they'll both be outstanding wines, I'm sure.

posted Hide Post
Had this at the winery...

OXIDIZED!!! Frown Frown Frown Didn't want to offend the Italian speeking aunt so I didn't say anything. Purchased 3 bottles, though.

posted Hide Post
I opened another bottle of this wine last night. Granted, it was from a different source, but this bottle had nothing on common with the bottle described above.

The wine was soft in texture, with some floral notes and soft red fruit, but most notably showing was a predominant note of vanilla from the French tonneaux. Perhaps this wine is "shut down" or perhaps this is bottle variation. Very disappointing, but still 89-90 points.

posted Hide Post
Tasted with Valentine's dinner 2006 at Martine in SLC. Dark maroon color with a somewhat muted nose of star anise and cherry to start. The primary fruit on the palate, however, was blackberry - very deep and almost sweet. Especially when first tasted, there is notable influence of oak, but it harmonizes well with the lifting effect of the acidity and with the fruit. Tannins are there on the finish, but once again, they fold in nicely with the other impressions. With a little aeration, a very subtle note of mint/menthol joins a wonderful, floral (lilies as my date identified) impression with even deeper dark fruits, led still by blackberry. Paired perfectly IMO with a smoked-chicken, crepe-like dish, which brought out a light smokiness in the wine.

Balance is the key in this wine, and it's wonderful, though I beleive it will be much better in the future. This did not open as much as a '97 Riserva did the previous year (under nearly identical circumstances). 93 easily, with room to improve. Definitely a wine that deserves contemplation even now.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3944 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 1999 E. Fuligni (Cottimelli) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (12/15/2012)
    Allowed to breathe for two hours in a glass before consuming. Gorgeous, crystal-clear ruby red colour. Typical Fuligni notes of strawberry, and current notes, now trending to the dried side. Sottobosco, dried acacia flowers, plums, cherries, and a hint of balsamico also present on the palate, through to a moderate-long finish, ~35-40s. Just starting into its drinking window, but those looking for more tertiary nuances will hold another few years. The oak has integrated nicely, and is a slight accent. Drink now-2022+. 93 points. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker