WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN's: 2005 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir (Côté Est, Diversite & Rocheux)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN's: 2005 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir (Côté Est, Diversite & Rocheux)
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Tom, how does the 2007 vintage look so far? When do you anticipate harvest beginning?

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37116 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O,

So far, so good!

Crop levels are perfect; we've thinned 3-times-- starting around August 10th, then tuned-up that thinning a few days later. Then we went through the east side and a couple of other areas to further lower the crop levels.

We had a very small amount of rain at the very end of August that split a few of the smaller berries. However, we had hot / dry weather after that, so I'm sure that the berries dried-up without any incident. I suspect the impact was, and will be, minimal.

Tonight and tomorrow the weather forecast is for a 60% chance of rain. Usually at that percentage level it doesn't amount to much, if anything, but we'll know more on that impact (if any) in another day or two. Beyond that, the forecast looks like smooth sailing... so far.

Ripeness conditions are more like 2005 and 2002 right now. The season has been warmer than '05 by a bit, but not like '04 or '06. Personally, I favor this sort of weather. We don't want heat spikes, just steady ripening-- 75-degree days and 55 - 58 degree nights. So far, for the most part, that's what we've been getting.

Net-net, everything looks great... at the moment. But I've often said that winegrape growing in Oregon is like a basketball game-- everything happens in the last one or two minutes of the game.

Tom M
Le Cadeau & Aubichon

Posts: 769 | Location: Now PDX; Was MSP | Registered: Dec 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, I did get your email and sent a reply. I have not been able to fax an order yet as I have no fax access. M. just went back to work after being out for several weeks so I can have him do it for me. If it's too late, no worries. I apologize for slowness.

Thank you!

Posts: 1068 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Jun 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Rocheux - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (10/14/07).

Pulled this to see how it was coming along. At first the nose and taste was heavy on burnt oak and gamay flavors. I decanted and left it along while preparing the Ahi Tuna steaks for the grill.

Given about 30-45 minutes the wine had totally changed. The burnt flavors had blown off providing a good level of fruit that lingers on your tongue. Very primary as I think this needs some time to completely come together in the bottle (similar comment to Vino Me, as this has very good potential for improvement). Note to try again in about a year.

Posts: 1437 | Location: Land of the Sick Cab Weekend | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny, I had the Rocheux for the first time the other night... but a couple days before having my own tuna steaks.

I wasn't thrilled with the wine the first night... it seemed a bit fat and non-expressive... I was thinking 85 points or so, but I stoppered the bottle and put it back in the fridge overnight. The next night was entirely different... Complex nose... Much fuller flavors with that "fatness" gone... Very nice finish, too. Very enjoyable, and I'm glad I saved most of it for the second night. 89pts, maybe better later.

Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Tom and Deb for the glowing online reviews from the WA last week.

2005 Côté Est= WA90
2005 Diversite= WA91
2005 Rocheux= WA93

From the WA: "Le Cadeau is a 28-acre micro-estate owned by Tom and Deb Mortimer. Previously flying under The Wine Advocate radar screen, if the wines continue to perform as they did in 2005, Pinot fans everywhere will be jumping on this winery's mailing list."

VM

Posts: 12367 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't I see some 90+ scores in WS last month too?

Posts: 1437 | Location: Land of the Sick Cab Weekend | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Côte Est - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/3/2012)

Last time I had this was in 2007. Opened about 2 hours before dinner. I thought it was rounder this time. Drinking very well. Paired with black pepper crusted filet with a cream sauce. Supple tannins with notes of red fruit and minerals. 91 points.

VM

Posts: 12367 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds great. I love pairing a good PN with a less fatty cut of beef - it's a pairing to which many would run to a bolder red, but I think an elegant red goes so well.

Cheers!

Posts: 2926 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
2005 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Côte Est - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/3/2012)

Last time I had this was in 2007. Opened about 2 hours before dinner. I thought it was rounder this time. Drinking very well. Paired with black pepper crusted filet with a cream sauce. Supple tannins with notes of red fruit and minerals. 91 points.

VM

Thanks for the note and interesting pairing. I am usually hesitant to pair a black pepper steak with Pinot noir as I feel the wine may be overpowered. In your opinion, What characteristics does the Cote Est have that makes it stand well to a black pepper sauce? Thanks. I have one that you are making me consider having with a black pepper steak now. Best.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1692 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The filet did not have a black pepper sauce. It was just coated in crushed whole black peppercorns that we soaked in brandy for a few days. The reason I think Cadeau matches this dish is the minerality and black fruit that I always find in Tom's wines.

VM

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
The filet did not have a black pepper sauce. It was just coated in crushed whole black peppercorns that we soaked in brandy for a few days. The reason I think Cadeau matches this dish is the minerality and black fruit that I always find in Tom's wines.

VM

Thx. Pepper steak is perhaps my favorite dish. I do one soaking the peppercorns in simmering canola oil. Care to share your recipe? You have my email in the wino fantasy league.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1692 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post