WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN's: 2005 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir (Côté Est, Diversite & Rocheux)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN's: 2005 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir (Côté Est, Diversite & Rocheux)
 Login/Join 
posted
These were tasted at Otis' CDP last weekend. Otis not only opened all 3 2005's at his CDP but also all 3 2004's. Very generous of the Otis. I tried all of the 2005's at the beginning of the party since I had not had them before and waited on the 2004's. Unfortunately, by the time I returned to them the 2004's were gone. The good news is that quite a few people who had never tried one of Tom's Pinot's before were able to try at least one of the 6 wines (and in some cases all of them) and I can't recall anyone who did not come away a believer. Here are my notes on the 2005's:

• 2005 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Côté Est - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (8/13/2007)
    This was the most rustic of the 2005 Le Cadeau Pinot's. This wine was filled with brambly fruit, berry and charcoal notes. Long finish with some black pepper. I thought this wine was much more open than the 2004 at the same age. This was my favorite of the 2005's at present although the Rocheaux has more potential. 91 points.

• 2005 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Rocheux - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (8/13/2007)
    Since the 2004 Rocheux was my favorite from that vintage I was looking forward to this wine. As expected it had a good minerally backbone coming from the rockiest part of the Le Cadeau vineyard. Probably the youngest tasting of the 3 2005's. Notes of forest mushroom, raw meat and kirsh. The most potential for improvement in my opinion but it needs time. 90-91+ points.

• 2005 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Diversite - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (8/13/2007)
    This was my least favorite of the 2005 Le Cadeau Pinot's. It had less fruit at present than the other two wines and seemed the most closed. Firm tannins with notes of burnt cherry and strawberry. 89 points.

Overall my impressions are that I liked the 2004 vintage better than the 2005 upon release. I'd be interested to here how Tom compares the vintages.

VM

Posts: 12197 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasting these at Otis's was my first exposure to these pleasureable Pinots. As you mention VM, I also found the Cote Est most special. I'll be keeping my eye on these now. A very enjoyable experiance Smile

Posts: 15426 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KSC,

You should contact Tom and get on his mailing list. Le Cadeau Vineyards.

By the way, nice meeting you and your girlfriend.

VM

Posts: 12197 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VM- Thanks for the suggestion and link. Have done so. Smile

It was a pleasure for us to meet you and Mrs. VM as well. Your wife was the source of many laughs Big Grin
Oh! and you too!! Razz

Posts: 15426 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KSC02,

With the WS forum names, it's hard to know who is who. You say you contacted me, did I respond? If not, please email again at Tom@LeCadeauVineyard.com. Thanks.

Otis,

Thanks very much for the generous offering of our wines at your CDP. We sincerely regret that we were unable to attend this year. Thanks too for the kind comments about the Cote Est.

VM,

Very nice review notes; thanks.

The ranking of the wines is interesting, but not overly surprising:

First the vintage question-- '04 vs. '05. While I've seen a few notes that some prefer the '04s, the majority vote seems to go with the '05s. I personally favor the '05s for their lower alcohol, higher acidity, better balance, and overall "fresh fruit character". Not that I dislike the '04s; to the contrary, when we released them I was delighted with the three wines. But the quality of the fruit in '05 was better, and I've maintained that they would be excellent wines. It seems that this is proving to be the case.

Regarding the specific wines, one key factor is that the '05 Cote Est was bottled one-year ago right now. By comparison, the Diversite and the Rocheux were bottled at the end of March. 12-months of bottle age vs. 4-months of bottle age is a notable difference. Thus, Cote Est may be closer to its drinking zone.

Some may be surprised to learn that the Cote Est has 50% new oak, all Francois Freres. I was concerned about the level of oak initially, but at the moment I'm delighted with the way that it has integrated. It is a balanced wine, and the oak has added some very nice dimension without the wine becoming woody.

In contrast, the Diversite and Rocheux have about 33% new oak, assorted French coopers. BUT, these two wines were in barrel for 16-months vs. the Cote Est which was in barrel for 10-months.

One common theme of all the '05s is that they are still very young, and they will age very well. Based on the fact that our 2002 seemed to hit its stride about 6-months ago (Essentially 4.5-years after the vintage harvest...), I'd guess that the 2005s will come into their prime drinking window around mid-2009, or two years from now. Given the acid, structure, and balance, it would not surprise me if they drink well for 5-years thereafter.

Finally, I think that we can look for the Diversite to put on some weight. Right now it is a bit soft, but every time I try one, it has more meat on the bone. With the demand for Le Cadeau being quite high, we've moved our release dates forward quite a bit. Our wines have considerable structure and tannin, so its likely that it will take some time for them to become the "real deal". In talking with Sam Tannahill yesterday (we selected the final '06 blend), Sam noted that they have not even released their 2005 wines yet.

Looking ahead, we bottled the '06 Cote Est this week, and the other three cuvees (we added "Equinoxe" in 2006) will be bottled in the next 2 or 3 weeks. The '06 wines are really nice, and I'm sure all will be very pleased with them.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom M
Le Cadeau & Aubichon

Posts: 769 | Location: Now PDX; Was MSP | Registered: Dec 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BHVineyard:
KSC02,
With the WS forum names, it's hard to know who is who. You say you contacted me, did I respond? Tom

Yep, you responded quite quickly Tom. Thanks. I've emailed you again, putting my 'name', with, my 'name' Confused Big Grin.

posted Hide Post
Tom,

Has the order for the 2005's been sent out? I don't recall seeing mine and forgot to ask Otis how he got his.

VM

posted Hide Post
VM - The 2005s have been out and delivered several months ago - do you mean 2006? I believe Tom normally shipped in the fall but moved into the spring with the 2005s

Soooo, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

Posts: 1100 | Location: Hudson, OH | Registered: Nov 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VM,

Most of the 2005s have shipped, but I have some that I'm holding for cooler weather.

I'll have my admin manager see if we have any confirmation that yours shipped-- did they go direct to you, or to Otis? Maybe those were "your" bottles that everyone enjoyed? Roll Eyes

Tom M
Le Cadeau & Aubichon

Posts: 769 | Location: Now PDX; Was MSP | Registered: Dec 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BHVineyard:
VM,
Maybe those were "your" bottles that everyone enjoyed? Roll Eyes

Big Grin Big Grin

posted Hide Post
VM, nice notes. Thanks. The Rocheux and the Est were two of my favorites that night and I look forward to purchasing both.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Jun 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insights, BHV. Always interesting to get the inside scoop on your wines! Cool

I ordered and received an assorted case. I think VM may have missed the mailer or did not receive one in the first place. I'm sure he'll confirm once he checks back in.

Cheers,

Otis

Posts: 3418 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh oh. I don't remember ever seeing a mailer and am sure that I never placed an order. I do recall exchanging emails with Tom to reserve a magnum of the Rocheux.

I'll have to send Tom an email next week.

VM

posted Hide Post
VM,

Sent seperate email to you with attached release letter and order form. Sorry about the MIA letter.

Not to worry, I've got wine reserved for your order.

Tom

Tom M
Le Cadeau & Aubichon

posted Hide Post
Een,

Do I have you on our list yet? If not, and you'd like to be, please send me an email with snail mail address included.

There should be a little '05 in the Chicago market as it has not been that long since we shipped the Chicago allocation. But we didn't send much, and the '05 at the winery is almost gone.

Tom
Tom@LeCadeauVineyard.com

Tom M
Le Cadeau & Aubichon

posted Hide Post
MLV and I were in the complete minority that preferred the 04s to the 05s at this point.

All were very fine wines though.

Posts: 5900 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jcocktosten,

Wine is an interesting business, and making and selling Pinot Noir is VERY interesting. First, Pinot moves around alot... just when you think you've got it right and put it in the bottle, it changes. At first this is distressing, then it becomes fun and exciting. Occasionally disappointing, certainly frustrating. But it's interesting to see everyone's reation to the wines.

Second, I think, perhaps, more than any other varietal, Pinot Noir lacks "agreed upon standards". I see this over and over when we pour at events. Husbands and wives will argue over which cuvee to buy. I'll pour for restaurants, and one buyer will love the Rocheux, the next the Cote Est, and others the Diversite. Pinot Noir speak to people in unique ways; that is what makes it fun.

So it comes as no surprise that there is not universal agreement on either vintage or cuvee. That is the nature of pinot! Enjoy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BHVineyard,

Tom M
Le Cadeau & Aubichon

posted Hide Post
Otis,

Above you wrote: "Always interesting to get the inside scoop on your wines!"

When sitting at a table in a nice restaurant, with good company, and good wine, wine seems glamorous. And indeed, at that moment, it is. As a collector / enthusiast, I've enjoyed wine on many such occassions.

But today I am reminded that the process of getting wine to that restaurant table is often difficult, though at the same time it can be rewarding. When we invest ourselves in our work, it takes on greater meaning. It is not so much what we do, but how and why we do it.

Today I spent most of the day driving a truck... not my usual workday. We moved three 3-ton fermentation tanks, and 19-French barrels.

It is fitting that of the three cuvees tried at your CDP party, the '05 Cote Est was the favorite. In the spirit of ying and yang, it is also fitting that it rained today in Oregon. Today we moved our equipment out of the Bergstrom Winery.

Josh Bergstrom and his assistant Jorge have been our consulting winemakers for Cote Est since it was first introduced in 2004. As their winery and wine business have grown, it has become necessary for them to focus their energy on their own Bergstrom wines. So today marks the beginning of Le Cadeau Cote Est's migration to a new home. Regrettably, beginning with the 2007 vintage, it will no longer be made at Bergstrom by Josh.

Wine marks time. A winemaker friend of mine once said, "You only get so many vintages, so it's important to make every one count." Almost at the very time that you and your CDP guests were tasting and reviewing the '05 Cote Est, we were bottling the '06 Cote Est (last week). Meanwhile, the '07 grapes are on the vine... turning purple as I write... and our efforts are focused on the future--- another harvest, just 5 or 6 weeks away. Such is the way of wine, it is a time bridge.

When I began working with Josh in the summer of 2004, I did not know him well. Today we are friends. I've sorted grapes at the sorting table along side his father, and I've walked our vineyard with his father-in-law... speaking in broken Spanish since I do not speak French (his native language), and he does not speak much English.

Today I said to Josh's assistant, Jorge, "You must be looking forward to just putting your effort into your own wine." He graciously, and truthfully replied, "It really doesn't matter if we are making wine for ourselves or for others. We make wine, that is what we do. We make the best wine we can, for everybody."

Indeed, Josh and his team have helped us make great wine. It would be easy to let today pass and to simply move on. I really had no plan to write this post, but it seemed to be a fitting way to say, "Thanks!" to Josh, his staff, and his family.

I will miss working with Josh. But on a happy note, we seem to have an uncanny knack for choosing the same time and day to have lunch at the Dundee Bistro. So we can look forward to those meetings, and all of us can look forward to the maturing of the 2005 Cote Est and the release of the 2006... possibly Josh's best Le Cadeau effort to date. Thanks Josh!

Otis, that is a real "day in the life" inside wine story. Perhaps this helps in understanding why we say that Le Cadeau is all about the gift of relationships... the wine is just the excuse.

Tom

Tom M
Le Cadeau & Aubichon

posted Hide Post
Absolutely agree BH. MLV and I were solely commenting on the wines as they currently were showing and did not factor in future developement. I think ultimately I may prefer the 05s, but that night felt the 04s were showing better.

I don't think I tasted the 05 Cote Est. Perhaps the more recent bottling of the 2 05s we tried contributed to our opinion

Posts: 5900 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, thanks for the information on Chicago availability. I also emailed you as suggested.

Thanks again.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Jun 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Een,

I trust that you rec'd my email reply?

Tom

Tom M
Le Cadeau & Aubichon

posted Hide Post
I can say I was very impressed with the '05 Cote Est. Best of all, I got to enjoy it sitting right beside the vineyard...hard to beat that.

Thank you Tom for your hospitality.

Kevin

"I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free" - Molly Hatchet

Posts: 3213 | Location: Valrico, Florida | Registered: Jan 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up some of these at my restaurant in chicago,Feast.

Posts: 193 | Registered: Aug 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BHV,

Just saw your eloquent yet bittersweet post about Josh and the sunset of the Cote Est cuvee. It will only make me savor those bottles even more.

The end of a wonderful chapter for sure, but new ones await to be written. I can't help but feel that your thrilling rollercoaster ride is still in the early stages! I personally am looking forward to the next twist and curve at Le Cadeau. Cool

Cheers,

Otis

Posts: 3418 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Otis,

Here's the rest of the story; I think we'll all have fun going forward...

Beginning with the 2007 vintage, the Le Cadeau Cote Est will be made by Steve Ryan at Mendocino Farms Winery. This is a new start-up winery that is focused on showcasing high-quality Mendocino vineyard sites. Steve Ryan and I met a little over 10-years ago when he was the winemaker at Martinelli-- Steve was there when the legendary '93, '94, '95 Jackass Hill zins were produced (and early on, I had a serious addiction to great zin). He also worked on the early Martinelli Pinot program, but since then has had only limited opportunity to make Pinot. Post-Martinelli, Steve has been the winemaker for several other northern CA wineries; now he is a partner in Mendocino Farms.

It so happens that Steve and I share common Minnesota roots. Steve graduated from the U of MN (I didn't, but I've lived in MN for nearly 20-years). After graduating from college, Steve developed an interest in wine and winemaking, so he moved to California and has been a winemaker there ever since.

Originally (a dozen years or so ago), Steve and I connected through a common friend in Minnesota that owns a wine shop. It just so happened that I was at that shop last December sampling our owner-retailer-friend on the just released '04 Le Cadeau wines. With uncanny timing, Steve walked in to the shop (we'd not seen each other in 10-years... he was "home" for the holidays visiting family in MN). Steve liked the Le Cadeau wine, and mentioned that he missed making Pinot Noir... of course, my ears perked-up! A few weeks later, Josh advised that he would not be able to make our '07 Cote Est. I called Steve, and here we are.

As many of you know, Le Cadeau is named for the great relationships that are a part of the Le Cadeau history. Steve is not only a talented winemaker (with some very innovative winemaking thoughts and processes), but we became friends long before we agreed to collaborate on the Cote Est. We're delighted to be working with Steve, this is gonna be fun!

(As an aside, the Mendocino Farms wines are quite exciting..., not much availability right now, but there's some really great stuff in the barrel).

As for other '07 cuvees, the Rocheux, Diversite, and Equinoxe will be made from the same fruit blocks and clones as they have in the past (as will the Cote Est). The winemaking for each of the cuvees, other than Cote Est, is unchanged--- Harry and Mike; Cheryl and Sam; and Jim, respectively. The only other change for '07 is that the quantity of Equinoxe will be increased by about 100-cases, and the quantity of Cote Est will be reduced by about 100-cases. Subject to Mother Nature's vagaries over the next 5 or 6 weeks, in 2007 we should end-up with between 250 and 350-cases of each of the four cuvees... I hope...

Tom Mortimer
Le Cadeau Vineyard

Tom M
Le Cadeau & Aubichon