WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2004 Chateau d'Or et de Gueules Costieres-de-Nimes La Bolida
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2004 Chateau d'Or et de Gueules Costieres-de-Nimes La Bolida
 Login/Join 
posted
2004 Château d'Or et de Gueules Costières-de-Nîmes La Bolida - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Costières-de-Nîmes (8/21/2008)

I got a great deal on this wine. Bought 3 magnums for $4 each. Normal retail is $45. The vineyards used to grow the grapes for this wine have a South to Southwest exposure and contain the galets that are so common in the Chateauneuf du Pape appellation. Like CdP, this is a blended wine made primarily of mourvèdre but with syrah as well. 'La Bolida' is the flagship wine from this estate and the grapes come from the oldest, lowest yielding vines. Parker rated the 2005 at 93 points. About 150 cases are imported into the US. I hadn't planned on opening any of these for another year or two because Mouvedre can be rough in its youth; however, I noticed my wife snuck the keys to the wine cellar while I was out of the room and opened one last night so I tried it as well.

Typical "dog strangler" and anyone who enjoys Mouvedre based wines will really like this. Reddish black color. This had the smell of driving through an Illinois cornfield in the Spring when the ground is being tilled. Full bodied with medium to firm tannins. A muscular texture with notes of spiced cherry, roasted meat and plum. Complex wine despite being young. As expected, a little rough around the edges but it should come together very nicely in another year or so. Dry lipsmacking finish and mighty tasty overall. 91-92 points.

VM

Posts: 12253 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Château d'Or et de Gueules Costières-de-Nîmes La Bolida - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Costières-de-Nîmes (12/26/2012)

Opened my last magnum at Christmas. Not decanted but opened an hour before dinner. Still a big, muscular and burly wine. A little more rounded than the last time I had it. Think this wine still has a few more years before it starts declining. 90-91 points.

VM

Posts: 12253 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post