WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2003 Zilliken Riesling Saarburger Rausch Spatlese
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2003 Zilliken Riesling Saarburger Rausch Spatlese
 Login/Join 
posted
Blue Oval came over last night with his son to use some of the tools in my workshop and brought this wine with him. There's nothing like mixing power tools and alcohol.

I was anxious to try this Saar wine because Pierre Rovani gave it a lackluster score of 86 points. Boardmember Marc gave it 90 points and liked it very much. The importer Rudi Weist thought that Zilliken might have one of the best collections in all of Germany in 2003. My experience with 2003 Germans indicates that the Saar preformed very well and therefore I was surprised by the WA scores for this well respected estate.

This was a lovely wine and I must agree with Marc's score. Beautiful floral and orchard fruit aromatics. Moderately sweet despite the fact the fruit was picked at 100 Oeschle. Rather flowing on the palate with creamy apple notes mixed with pear and red fruit. An interesting stony flintiness as well. 90+ points.

VM

Posts: 12190 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Zilliken (Forstmeister Geltz) Saarburger Rausch Riesling Spätlese #8 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2/24/2013)

Opened with Bohemian roasted duck. A $15 purchase at auction. Last had this in 2005. No petrol aromas. Notes of orchard fruit, most notably apple with some flint. Good balance but could use a little more acidity. Moderate sweetness. I would drink this now if you have any. 88-89 points

VM

Posts: 12190 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post