WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1999 Chat. Brane Cantenac
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1999 Chat. Brane Cantenac
 Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have any idea about how this wine is aging or tasting? Thanks

Posts: 3736 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popped and poured.

Decent aromas on the nose, some stewy, herbaceous odors. Some tannins and subtle hints of fruit but otherwise seems rather flat. Drink up.

Posts: 3736 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh oh. Based on my experience with the '61, I picked up some '82 and '85 this week. I though B-C had more staying power than your experience suggests.

Posts: 2953 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The old ones had greater staying power than most classified growth Bordeaux. I've had a bunch back to the 1935 and still have a 1953, though it might be a 1955. The 1961 had more ageability than any right bank Bordeaux I've ever had. I've probably had a dozen bottles from vintages predating tyhe 1961. I've never had one that was headed south.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37101 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vin, this is the 1999 vintage I am referring to. And if you like this style then you are fine. Others I have spoke to think that this wine is flawed, I just thought that it was not too revealing and rather uninteresting.

posted Hide Post
mareff, one never likes to hear of a mediocre drinking experience but I admit I was kinda hoping your bottle was the anomaly and not the rule.

Board-O - you reference the ageability of "old ones" so I know my remaining '61's are fine. But do you think there is a cutoff year after which B-C's stopped aging as well? Should I drink the '82 and '85 sooner rather than later?

Posts: 2953 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know. As best I can remember, I don't think I've ever had one from a vintage more recent than 1961. I have had a lot of older ones.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37101 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the '82 a little less than a year ago and I thought it was drinking great. I don't have a whole lot of experience with older Bordeaux, so I can't tell you if it will go much further, however, I don't think I would be in a hurry to pop another if I had it.

As is usually the case with good older wines in my experience, the last sip was the best.

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1358 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post