WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Antinori 2001 Badia A Passignano Chianti Classico Riserva
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antinori 2001 Badia A Passignano Chianti Classico Riserva
 Login/Join 
posted
This is pure joy in a bottle. Unmistakeably Italian with Aromas and flavors blackberry, spice, mushroom and coffee bean on a rich, lush palate of fine tannin and acid with a finish that just won't quit. Best Chianti I have had in a long, long time. 93 points. $45 in this neck of the woods.

Posts: 391 | Registered: Nov 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes. After visiting Passignano in June, I purchased a bottle to bring back to the US with me.

Posts: 334 | Location: Near Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joea:

After visiting Passignano in June, I purchased a bottle to bring back to the US with me.

What a fun place!

Posts: 29624 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We visited the 'castle' in June of '06; had dinner there one evening as well. We brought back 6 of the '01s; I've got three left and there's no hurry to open.

FWIW, I hade a bottle of the '00 on Wednesday evening that was a big, brooding, tannic monster of a CCR; superb color, fruit, and concentration - needs a couple of hours in the decanter.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. "
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Posts: 3847 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Nov 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like this Chianti Riserva in every vintage. The 2001 being my favorite of the past 10 years.

Kybo,

The 2000 is very underrated. I've had this 4 or 5 times and it has been great each time.

Posts: 517 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This place is on my short list for a visit in October.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13313 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:

You both will enjoy it I think, and very close to where you are staying.

The view in the Fall could be spectacular if the leaves on the vines have not fallen. Some of my favorite trips to the wine country have been in the Fall.

Posts: 29624 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love this wine....bought enough to be drinking it often for nights we cook Italian or bring Carrabba's home as well as enough to stockpile for aged drinking. It is soo smooth right now.

Miss the old label with vertical design and pastel colors but this is nice too, albeit more traditional.

STRONG BUY, Drink AND Hold!

Posts: 418 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Make sure to eat at the restaraunt -

Posts: 5573 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:

Already have a reservation for that Saturday night we're in the area. Cool

Joe
-----

Posts: 13313 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Smart man - unless things have changed drastically, you'll love it.

Posts: 5573 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Don't forget to tell Maurizio and Marcello I said hello.

Posts: 2106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool

I sent Marcello an email yesterday asking if we could do a tour of the cellars before our 8PM dinner. Hope so. Cool

Joe
-----

posted Hide Post
Just go easy on the barrel samples before dinner. I swear I've never left that place without having at least consumed 2 bottles of wine. Not that I am complaining. Smile

Posts: 517 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drinking terrific tonight. Seems to be building and evolving on previous experiences.

Rich, deep nose. Lots of black cherries, black licorice and sweet molasses with hints of expresso beans. Slightly smokey finish with lush, well-blended tannins. Wonderfully long, strong palate. Held up well on day two.

Ardeis in Seminole

Posts: 418 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love this wine. Still have 6+ bottles. 2001 was such a great year for Chianti Classico.I think I paid around $22 for this 5-6 years ago. 2 Cents

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 656 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish I could enjoy dinner tonight at Osteria di Passignano. Winner

posted Hide Post
I will second W+A comment. Simply put an outstanding restaurant.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4874 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+3

Have eaten there 3 times. Additionally I have always enjoyed Antinori's Badia a Passignano, especially 2001 vintage.

Side note, just ordered a 3L 2004 Badia! Can't wait to drink it.