WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 1989 Lynch Bages
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 1989 Lynch Bages
 Login/Join 
posted
A great, but not yet ready, example of Lynch Bages (and Pauillac). Deep dark ruby in color. Notes of tobacco, ciagar spice, cedar, roasted plum, scorched earth, olive pit, and black cherry. Great nose. Palate shut down in comparison. Needs more time. 93+ pts.

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little petrol, too.

91.5 for me

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7575 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah...you guys mentioned this initially. I didn't get to this wine until it had been decanted for about 30-45 mins. Too busy cooking. Cool At that point, I didn't detect any petrol.

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drank this with my brother with a 1973 mayacamas cab.It had alot more fruit than the mayacamas but the nose of the mayacamas was incredible unfortunately the fruit was fading on the mayacamas, but the nose was so fresh it was decieving.

Posts: 9424 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DRAB,

How much time do you think it needs? I only have one bottle and I'm waiting for the opportune time.

Thanks

Mike

"Free at last..." - MLK jr.

Posts: 650 | Location: yorba linda, ca | Registered: Jun 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whiner15:
A little petrol, too.

91.5 for me

Interesting Whiner. I have never had or thought about petrol with a Cab based Bordeaux.

Now if we are talking Riesling... Big Grin

w+a

Posts: 30081 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I felt like both this and the '89 Leoville Las Cases that we had with it needed another 5-8 years to really be singing. They are in their drinking windows, but these bottles were not at their prime just yet.

posted Hide Post
  • 1989 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/12/2010)

From a 375ml.
    Tasted and decanted for about 2 hours.
    On the nose some dark fruits, tobacco, leather, earth.
    On the palate, cherries, blackberries, earthy notes, spices and faint iron. Layers and layers building up to a medium to full body wine.
    A perfect balance of fine tannins and acidity with a medium to long finish. It kept improving over about 2 hours. Still young but quite impressive.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had it recently and enjoyed it very much. (91+)

Posts: 2285 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArieS:
  • 1989 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/12/2010)

From a 375ml.
    Tasted and decanted for about 2 hours.
    On the nose some dark fruits, tobacco, leather, earth.
    On the palate, cherries, blackberries, earthy notes, spices and faint iron. Layers and layers building up to a medium to full body wine.
    A perfect balance of fine tannins and acidity with a medium to long finish. It kept improving over about 2 hours. Still young but quite impressive.

Not surprised. My 1982s are just now hitting the drinking window.

I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Posts: 606 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Mar 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Decanted for one hour, throwing a bit of sediment. Medium ruby, 12.5% alcohol, nose of dark fruits, leather and cedar opened up right away. Balanced with a long finish, elegant and very enjoyable now but will keep for years. I doubt it will be improving from this point. Very nice, glad to have a couple more to look forward to. 92 points.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pippin:
Decanted for one hour, throwing a bit of sediment. Medium ruby, 12.5% alcohol, nose of dark fruits, leather and cedar opened up right away. Balanced with a long finish, elegant and very enjoyable now but will keep for years. I doubt it will be improving from this point. Very nice, glad to have a couple more to look forward to. 92 points.

Thanks for this. I have one bottle left in the cellar.

Posts: 581 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Irwin brought a bottle of this for GF, PH, CS, Longboarder, Festiva and me last year and it was absolutely excellent.

Posts: 30081 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Irwin brought a bottle of this for GF, PH, CS, Longboarder, Festiva and me last year and it was absolutely excellent.

+1

PH

Posts: 15060 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

+1

PH

It was the company that made the night.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7138 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
quote:
quote:

+1

PH

It sure was not the two corked bottles of '89 Bordeaux PH and I brought. Smack

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

PH

That simply makes the next bottles from you two more special. Wink

------------------------------
"Hey Man, I'm drinking wine, eating cheese and catching some rays." Oddball

Posts: 670 | Location: northern Maryland | Registered: Dec 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gentleman farmer:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

PH

That simply makes the next bottles from you two more special. Wink

I thought this tread might bring the pirate out of hiding. Wink

posted Hide Post
Enjoyed this beauty again last night, and still singing.

I think the '89 will clearly outlive the '90.