WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2003 Ch. Canon-la-Gaffeliere, St. Emilion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2003 Ch. Canon-la-Gaffeliere, St. Emilion
 Login/Join 
posted
A great right bank wine. Color of a shiny black cherry skin. Seductive and subtle dry herb de provence, focus fruit of ripe black cherry (but not very ripe), tree bark, and a hint of earth. Very perfume and layered when swirling in glass. Medium body and not at all heavy like most '03. In fact, I would not have guess this is from 2003. High acidity but fell fresh and simply elegance. Fine tannin of cocao powder lasting long over a minutes. Definitely a young wine but this will turn out nicely over next decade. 92+ points.

DP Wink

Posts: 547 | Location: OH | Registered: Jan 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Château Canon-la-Gaffelière - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (1/16/2013)

Opened by Otis. 2nd time I have had this wine. Double decanted 5 hours before dinner. The only Right Bank wine of the 4 2003 Bordeaux opened at this dinner and it stood out for that reason. Earthy nose with underbrush. Leather and cigar box notes with some bacon fat nuances on the finish. Firm acidity. Excellent wine which will continue to improve and round out. I think the 2005 and 2009 vintages are superior though. 93 points.

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check-out the 2008 Chateau Gaffeliere if you can find it - 2nd label (not Canon). Drinkable now with decant. Extremely perfumed and multilayered - in line with the descriptions above.

---------------------------------------------------------
"...And so ultimately you didn't blame Lil John or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."

Posts: 1405 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the only right bank wine this one stood out to me for it's merlot jammy quality. There might have been a touch of pruniness in there too, but it sure was pleasurable. Still tight, this could use 5 more years, maybe more. 92pts

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5564 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTW, Redmeat- La Gaffeliere is a distinct chateau, not related to C-L-G, although they're neighbors.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5564 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanx, G! Appreciate the education...

---------------------------------------------------------
"...And so ultimately you didn't blame Lil John or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."

Posts: 1405 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought this was in great balance, showing classic Bordeaux notes of cigar box, dill, and lead pencil. Long persistent finish. I thought it was the most open of all the wines on the table, yet capable of aging for many more years. Full disclosure: I am a big fan of CLG. Almost always hits my sweet spot. 93P

Posts: 3418 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post